Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72010 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2019, 04:13:52 PM »
Willy, I have noticed the same thing on my models, I got odd looks when telling them I needed to go take MORE pictures of the Lombard and Marion machines - "Aren't those other thousand enough??"  me: "Nope! Still more details!"

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2019, 01:32:18 AM »
Hi All, am back in the WKSP and have been continuing with the beam after finding some of my drawings are actually wrong !!! .. I have marked out the centres and have filed the ends using hardened silver steel filing buttons...the next job was to file the curves. This is facilitated by putting the beam parts on an illuminated table from underneath. you can see where the flat parts are by putting the beam part against a straight edge. When it is filed to a perfect curve you only see the smallest area of contact with the straight edge. !!! i have also made the inserts that separate the two parts of the beam. Also a visitor to Norwich model engineers  , Eaton Park site .......

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2019, 02:19:09 AM »
Glad you are able to get back into the playshop again! Hmmm... Playshop, I like that...

Anyway, neat trick with the light table! Is that from your instrument making days? Great way to get a fair curve.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2019, 02:48:06 AM »
Hi Chris, ..yes the way violins are made is to have a perfect curve from the top to the bottom and also from side to side ... when this is done the violin has the ability to have great strength and like an egg is quite resistant to caving in when the strings exert the pressure through the bridge ... This enables the instrument to vibrate quite freely and produce a good tone. Also when i made instruments i carved the tops and bottom at night and used a single
 angle poise lamp to show up the compound curves when held obliquely to the instrument ... You can see this when holding the instrument with the back towards you and slowly moving it about with just the lamp in front of the instrument......you can also feel for bumps and dips by pushing the palm of you hand over the curved contours....

Willy

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
Hi Willy, great to see you back in the shop.

I don’t think the light board back light trick would help me, I would still be able to create new flats, but I would be able to see them better.  I think apart from making violins for practice, you clearly have a great natural talent.

As an alternative, I wonder if it would be possible to make a large version of one of those ball turning devices to move the beam past the milling cutter.  It might need the pivot across the other side of the shop to get the right radius.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2019, 02:22:54 AM »
Hi  MJM  et al ,  I think my  "natural talent" has more to do with being a bit lazy and procastination  .....A bit lazy as i don't want to make the parts several times  !! and procrastination ..i spend quite a lot of time just thinking about how to make the parts !! so, a bit more work on the beam ....some of the spacers are bolted in place and some are riveted   so ...more drilling etc...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2019, 01:52:03 AM »
so more work on the beam the parts have been made and some of them are bolted in place and the others are fixed in place with what seems to be rivets although there is no indication of them in the wrought iron finished beam assembly ?  the con rod end is attached by soft soldering the parts in place. this was done by tinning the parts and then holding them in place by attaching temporarily with a removable brass bush that is a tight fit. when they are sweated together the bush is removed.The centre parts for the main bearing proved to be a bit of an experiment with fitting together to get everything lined up so i will have to fill the superfluous holes with JB Weld.......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2019, 02:29:46 AM »
The beam is now assembled with countersunk screws and filler applied  the bores are broached and the axle fitted...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2019, 03:14:18 AM »
A bit more work on the main bearings.. the bearings have this detail on the top cap that is a small concave shape all the way round the bearing profile. this is done by milling the part with a ball cutter and filing the round parts half way round... the parts do need tidying up but as it is all hand filing it dosent look too good    so   now i can see how it looks i may make a new pair. the assembly is silver soldered together so will need some cleaning up.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2019, 08:59:41 PM »
Is progress on the build equal to you getting better Willy ?
If so - it is nice to see / hear  :cheers:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2019, 03:52:15 AM »
Hi Admiral.... Thanks for asking about that... actually i am finding it quite hard to get back to normal and i keep making mistakes... Normally i just get on and do the work without compromise but am now feeling it a bit tedious to properly measure things and clamp things down etc etc .When i made the beam i marked it all out ,but when i finished it and assembled it to the engine , it looked too big...so when i measured it again it was .15" too wide in the middle...so i shall have to file it down...to do this properly i shall have to make a piece of metal to fit between the two sides so i can hold it in the vice.  I am making the bearing block and this is a built up item...and again i need to be really careful as i have noticed that when i use my hacksaw it pulls over to the right...so all i need to do is change the blade !!  also i am getting behind with the allotment as i missed out on 6 weeks work .. And when i was in hospital i left my house in a bit of a state because i was falling over and my friends decided to tidy it up so the "authorities" wouldn't come round and see it , then put me in a home !! in so doing they chucked lots of my stuff away including sheets of  perspex and other bits of wood and SRBP....they also tidied up my books and tools and things so i have been trying to find them !!  anyway when i came to leave the hospital i just got a taxi so nobody would know !!. So the doctor may be correct in saying it will take about 6 months to get back 100%..............So i do need to take things a bit slower.......

Willy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2019, 09:49:17 PM »
I hear you - progress is not always as quick as we wish  :old:  :censored:

In my own case many years ago - I can say, that as long as I felt constantly (slow) progress, I could live with it - especially as the alternatives, where death, being a wegie or confined to an electric wheelchair .....

Nice gesture from your friends - annoying side effects  :embarassed:  ::)

Best wishes

Per

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2019, 01:06:23 AM »
continuing with the bearing .....the brasses are soft soldered together prior to machining  than fitted, I have been getting some advice on using my new camera so the last photo is getting a bit better.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2019, 12:40:51 PM »
Hi Willy, good to see you well enough to make progress again.  All progress is good but best when it is forward.

Perhaps getting the shop back to how you like it should take precedence on the not so good days.

Those are interesting bearing chairs.  Is the design something to do with adjustments for wear?

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2019, 02:50:29 AM »
Hi MJM,  This is basically a normal bearing and the adjustment comes from the top bolts...the side pieces of brass are just part of the casting and will disappear when the assembly is painted.  Making the other bearing showing the sequence of manufacture....  The side holes are drilled the same diameter as the rod and when the side pieces are sawn off and filed to size the finished dimension of the holes are slightly larger than the rod so the rod can slide in and be held quite firmly in place when soldered in place..The small concave detail can be seen clearly and is milled out with a round nose mill .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal