Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72073 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2018, 03:59:03 AM »
Hello Willy,

Looking really good.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »
More work on the entablature....  the cavetto moulding parts are machined from an up cycled brass electric socket cover !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2018, 02:13:09 AM »
The next moulding is the top part that has a Cyma Recta profile.... i have been thinking about this for a few months now ,and i was going to make a silva steel cutter  !! however being a procrastinator i i suddenly thought I could use a corner rounding cutter  cutting quite deep into the Matl and then putting some filler into the cavetto part .... so had a quick try out and it seems to work ok...Also i dropped my nuts box on the floor and so they are all mixed up  :(  so i have made up this little tool to identify the nuts,,,as they are small hex and normal hex head they can be quite tedious to sort out....The tool is colour coded  2 4 6 8 10 ba and i will make another with the odd size threads !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2019, 02:56:17 AM »
Ok... changed my mind again with the top mouldings...Rather than milling a Cyma Recta then filling with filler then filing to profile.. I have just milled a cavetto closer to the edge then filed the profile. Because the two top mouldings were made separately i could take them apart by unsoldering and profile the bottom part of the Cyma Recta with room to file it . The two parts were then resoldered using the two pins to keep them aligned . this does seem to be taking a long time but i am trying to get it right!!!  More photos of the parts.......When milling the profiles the vice is not quite accurately aligned with the bed so i have milled a piece of angle and this is used to align the parts that are bolted to a separate bar that is held in the mills vice....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2019, 03:13:08 AM »
Though I wouldn't know a Cyma Recta from a Cmyk Shoebox, that is some beautiful shaping work!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2019, 03:29:47 AM »

Though I wouldn't know a Cyma Recta from a Cmyk Shoebox, that is some beautiful shaping work!!
[/quote] Hi Chris these are are the Cyma Recta  and the Cyma Reversa..and another one that perhaps belongs on a different forum !!!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2019, 08:16:54 AM »
More commonly known as Ogee and Roman Ogee

A single point flycutter is another option for mouldings and a bit easier to make than a round one plus they shift the metal a lot faster.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2019, 02:44:25 PM »
[quote author=Jasonb
More commonly known as Ogee and Roman Ogee

A single point flycutter is another option for mouldings and a bit easier to make than a round one plus they shift the metal a lot faster

Hi Jason  , Yes ,and the woodworkers use different terms than the stone masons !!  As i make all these parts in situ so they all fit together i do tend to use the file a lot. Also there is the difficulty of holding these small parts whilst machining them. I do use the ball nose  and corner rounding end mills quite a lot but they are not cheap !! With a single point cutter do you have to reduce the speed of the bed a lot or increase the speed of the cutter ??  The Clarkson cutters have 2 cutting faces.  Thanks for the tips and wishing you a productive and prosperous new year.....

Willy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
Feed needs to be less as you only get one cut per rev but unlike a ball ended cutter where the centre of the bit is hardly moving the flycutter has a much faster actual cutting speed so you can go quite fast. the actual width of the profile tends to determine what you can cut as the wider it is the more load on the tool.

I also grind the corners of blunt end mills as again they move faster than the dead spot of bull nose cutters and you can quickly make up what radius you need, don't have to be too special as the 4 cutting edges will average out any shortcomings in your freehand grinder use.

As you say file can still be needed for the final blnding especially if you make up a larger profile with a series of stepped cuts like this one I did the other day.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2019, 06:01:16 PM »
Hi Jason, thanks for more clarity on this..I think your profile shown would be called  Cyma Reversa   or the other name given ?!!! or is it because of the difficulty making it  ?  one wrong adjustment of the feeds would be a right cock up ? :o ;) i suppose a better profile for a ball ended cutter would be the same as a slot drill ..? as there is no cutting taking place at the centre with the ball ended ones with equal flute design ?!!!  alternatively a larger diameter end mill with the corners just rounded off would be better >>>>
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:08:23 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2019, 02:21:20 AM »
slowly getting there .. using my analogue DRO  ...direct retinal observation ...so i now need to finish the mouldings by inserting the bridging piece from the front to the back.....and then the motion support part of the entablature I have been looking at the cure times for the Loctite 638 that i have used to glue the parts together prior to drilling the holes for pining and bolting , and notice that the curves for % strength increases beyond 100 % ??? !!!
Willy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 02:34:09 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2019, 02:35:51 AM »
Very well done. Looking ahead from that one picture, the governor is a pretty design too.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
Nice work Willy  :ThumbsUp:

and notice that the curves for % strength increases beyond 100 % ??? !!!

A wild guess - it might mean that it can get stronger than they promise if cured at that temperature and time  :noidea:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »
More photos of what i have to do and have done..... on the original you look up at the mouldings and can can see them !  but on the model you will look down and miss most of the intricacies ! :(............Also the new mouldings for the infill on the crank rod side...
Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2019, 05:38:11 PM »
You will need to find an eye-level shelf to show off all the mouldings well!

Are you going to do all the painted lines too?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal