Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 71953 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 01:48:09 AM »
I have started on the base and i found a piece of 10" wide 1/4" aluminium and got a 12' length for £2... The base is 1/2" thick so i will join two pieces together .This will be quite convenient as the base is not solid but is 3 sides of a square with vertical filets straddling the top and bottom parts. once the two parts are pinned together and the mouldings milled the insides will be milled off. I have hand sawn the 2.5" strips off the slab using an assortment of hacksaws . The red eclipse one that is used to saw corrugated iron panels did not work as the modern saw blades are too thin for the backing plate. I have also been trying out the small G T Rotary table using the stops to lock it. this sort of worked ok but the stops do need tightening quite tight . I also used coconut oil to lubricate the saw and used a 18 tooth blade.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 07:32:55 AM »
Have you tried using the saw in the first photo with the blade turned 90degrees so the frame runs down the side of the sheet?

I was playing about will some fly cut cove and ogee profiles last night, all cut with the two tools shown.

Offline michaelr

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »
I use the Eclipse sheet saw for such work, don't know if they are still obtainable now.
Mike

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
Hi Jason , yes i could have rotated the saw blade but the sheet aluminium is only 10" deep and there is enough room to saw it out as i reversed the plate round ..also i put the clamps on it to stop the loud vibrations disturbing the neighbours On the base there is just a simple moulding that i can use a round nosing tool on and i will use a 3/32' clarkson cutter in the mill.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 02:25:21 AM »
So more work on the base...the two halves have been joined together with 6BA countersunk screws and the sides milled to size . The profiles have been marked out from the drawings and measurements . There are a few extra protrusions on the base and these will be added afterwards. I have a full size drawing for the model and there is a rule and an EU valid not too bendy banana to give an indication for it !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 02:31:21 AM »
The base has now been fitted up with a curved end and because the two halves need to be held together accurately when machining there are two small sellik pins inserted at the ends. To split the two halves a screw has been attached to push the halves apart. i have also got the clarkson cutters for the profile...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 02:45:09 AM »
Nice idea for the screw to separate them.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 02:03:04 AM »
Ok ..So had a try out on this piece of SRBP ... I clamped it in position on the mill and turned the base round by hand using the stops.  Unfortunately as my mill only has a travel of about 16" i can not use it to mill the whole lot by traversing the part in one direction then swivelling it round and then traveling back !! The base is about 10" long so would need to use quite a large mill.   After trying out the SRBP if mounted the aluminium base and started on the cavetto part of the profile. I have scribed lines on the part and will have to mill out using just  a  visual technique with 3.5 strength reading glasses. Also a drawing showing the cross section of the base.....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 03:23:24 AM »
The curved end has been profiled and i am now doing the sides and end. I  have taken it off the rotary table and attached a square section bar to the bottom of the base. I am having to mill them by dead reckoning and a powerful set of glasses   X 3.5 magnification . The first profile has been milled successfully .....so the top one will be next....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 03:32:50 AM »
Beauty!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
sdfgrdd
:shrug:
Hi , sorry about that, i was trying to find out about being able to use that word crossing out feature in other places on the computer and i was showing somebody what i was talking about and i thought i had deleted it but it got sent by mistake !!!
Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »
sdfgrdd
:shrug:
Hi , sorry about that, i was trying to find out about being able to use that word crossing out feature in other places on the computer and i was showing somebody what i was talking about and i thought i had deleted it but it got sent by mistake !!!
Willy
:Lol:
I was trying to figure out what the initials meant!   :facepalm2:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
So, Don't ForGet, Read Drill Dimensions....? ;D

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 11:39:24 PM »
So after much mental anguish the profiling is done...with much looking etc etc etc....so if it looks right then it possibly is . I do worry a bit about making parts ,but i get in the workshop and it just seems to happen ....!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal