Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72004 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:11:36 PM »
Here is my new engine build , it is an Eastons and Anderson beam engine wit the meyer valve system. It is the engine based at Bressingham Steam engine museum near Diss Norfolk. The engine is different from mu previous beam engine builds and so has its own particular challenges a n idiosyncrasies . It has a particularly fine moulded entablature but with a very plane built up beam and simple con rod. There is also the meyer valve gear that will be models in full although it is hidden inside the steam chest. I have taken numerous photos of it and have started on the drawings,   so here goes and i hope to finish it for next years Forncett museum event !!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 07:17:11 PM »
Excellent, another build from SGW to watch!!   :popcorn:

Do you have a diagram of what the Meyer valve gear is, don't know that one.

:popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
Looking forward to the build Willy. I would love to see the original in person....maybe someday ::)

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:16:26 PM »
Hello Willy,

That sure is a beautiful Crown on the original engine. I will be following your build.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »
I always enjoy your projects, looking forward to this one too.

Dave

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 11:51:21 PM »
Hi All ,a few more pics... a general arrangement from 1970 and a schematic diagram and info of the meyer valve.....more pics to follow. One surprising thing about the entablature is that the top part over the motion work has a sort of checker plate design design cast integral with it  ! so the people working on top of the engine would not slip off!! I have not seen this before. There is also the checker plate design on the base casting around the standards

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
Just in case you feel the urge to do a JL and model the engine room this is the engine when it was in it's original working place at Banstead which is not too far from me. Then again you would really have to model the pair :LittleDevil:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:01:49 AM by Jasonb »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 01:03:18 PM »
Hi Jason, thanks so much for the photo it is good to see it i situ. is this one of George Watkins  photos ? I do have some of his books. It still has the railings around it that i thought Bressingham had installed but apparently not  ! You don't have the other engine perchance !!
Thanks again
Willy.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 02:50:38 PM »
Yes it is in his London & South East volume. Just the one engine, maybe the other had already been removed by the time the photo was take.

I hope you are not planning to include the Kee-Klamp handrail.

Regarding you book of measurements, do you prepare the sketch and number the items before you make your visit? This would seem the best way if possible as you can spend some time thinking about what dims you need rather than having to rush when on site and risk leaving off the obvious ones

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 03:07:27 PM »
Hi Jason, Yes the key clamps will disappear and i do exactly that with the measurements..I go first and take lots of photos from side  front and above then i go back with my friend  Clare and i read out the dimensions with the plan on a separate piece of paper and she fills them in ..However when i read out the dimensions from the rule, i am careful not to say 3 4 5 6.and 23 /64ths as that becomes a bit confusing for her !! Also ..when i did the same with the Bridewell engine some of the measurements seemed a bit odd? and then discovered the person was a bit dyslexic  so 3 & 5/8ths got written down as 5 & 3/8ths !!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 11:56:07 PM »
so ..i need to mill the profiles on the base.. I am trying stout on this piece of SRBP first and i was going to put this rotary table in the mill vice and go up and down the bed then turn it round the 180 degrees to mill the curved end. However the rotary table i have is a George Thomas item but i don't know how to lock it to itself  ? it has the stops for the 180 degree turning limits but i don't know about locking the central spindle ?? any ideas?? also more photos
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:02:08 AM by steam guy willy »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 12:04:34 AM »
That drawing of the valve finally makes it clear, the others I found were confusing.   :ThumbsUp:

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »
I don't think you can lock that one, maybe get the holes in the base first then you can clamp through those down to the table with some suitable height packing to do all the straight cuts then undo the fixing to round the end. Even if it could be locked there would be a lot of leverage on the table that may see it creap and the overhanging end would be flapping about as well.

What are you going to use for the base, a bit of 1/2" aluminium would be quite easy to cut.

ChuckKey

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »
...the rotary table i have is a George Thomas item but i don't know how to lock it to itself  ? it has the stops for the 180 degree turning limits but i don't know about locking the central spindle
I set both the movable stops tight up to the fixed stop.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
...the rotary table i have is a George Thomas item but i don't know how to lock it to itself  ? it has the stops for the 180 degree turning limits but i don't know about locking the central spindle
I set both the movable stops tight up to the fixed stop.
  Hi Chuckkey yes i have come to the same conclusion to that after sleeping on it   Thanks  and great minds think alike  !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal