Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 71967 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2018, 02:09:16 AM »
I am now cutting out the pieces to make the standards... I will cut out the shapes and solder them to the plates then file the insides to shape. When i use the dividers to mark out the circles before sawing them i keep the dividers still and revolve the brass plate ...doing this is easier to keep the dividers from skidding off the plate... Try it does work !!! The flanges are on both sides of the uprights so i have to make 4 off and 8 off the hole surrounds...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2018, 03:38:50 PM »
More details of the standards that i have to make !! I will have to think about how i get the bolts into the casting at the foot ??!!
This is going to be fun !!! :thinking:

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »
Willy....it was quite common with Gothic style castings to place bolt holes in seemingly difficult places to get to :hammerbash:

Scaling from photographs can be a big guess, however my estimate is that the two foot bolts shown
[say 1" diameter x 12 ] ....[:facepalm: brain fade....8TPI] were drilled & fitted from under the subbase, and the center line of the 1/2" diameter tapered dowel was  such that it could be drilled from underneath and taper reamed from above  :facepalm:

Naturally no dowels on the inside of the legs, however I would expect to see one dowel in each foot [4 legs = 4 dowels]

This doweling process [of ensuring and maintaining correct alignment] carried on well until after WWII with Naval gun mounts.........  I have worked upon Vickers Twin 4.5" [MK8] Gun Mounts [manufactured in the UK] where each mount and ancillary components would have been secured by hundreds of fitted taper dowels

Another semi useless piece of information was that the actual [finished] protrusion of the head of each dowel was to a +/- dimension relative to the dowel diameter

The next piece of useless information is that post the Gun refit, the height of dowel protrusion was never [approve -checked] until after the mount had been recommissioned and test fired :Mad: [at sea]

Derek

[my edit of the 1" TPI from 12 .....corrected to 8]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:07:53 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2018, 09:29:32 PM »
Until you mentioned them, I hadn't even noticed the dowel pin!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
Interestingly, the [4+4] bolts that secure the Cross Head to the Standards are shown as machined from hex material as opposed to forged bolts heads

As there are also no dowels shown  [Image 1[7] from October 30th] confirms no external doweling ....... so from this.......the  bolts would suggest to be   Fitted Bolts [machined toleranced shank] and fitted to parallel reamed holes

So obviously a combination of bolting and securing alignment techniques used ..... 

Derek
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:10:57 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2018, 03:00:40 AM »
Hi Derek thanks for the info... the dowels are in the bottom of the standards but at the top there are rectangular wedges that align the entablature and then there is also a rectangular wedge that locates the bearing casting. All these parts are held securely in place but the crankshaft bearings are allowed some shimming to locate them. On other engines i have made most of the parts had some degree of adjustment , but suppose by the time this engine was made they had the means and equipment to machine everything with a greater degree of accuracy. I have started on the standards with cutting out them out leaving the tabs to locate them prior to soldering all the parts together...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2018, 03:07:14 AM »
continuing with the parts ... they are sawn out filed up drilled and tapped to fit to the back plate ready to be soldered in place.....lots of measuring, checking and measuring again !! the parts will be drilled and filed to shape once everything is soldered in place ...the circular piece is turned up and the depth to file out is marked in place when on the lathe.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2018, 03:48:05 AM »
Hi Willy, that is a very clever way to fabricate a complex profile.  I am following along, and looking forward to learning the next step.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2018, 02:45:55 AM »
Hi MJM, Thanks for the comment, however i think this is the only way to fabricate it from bar stock , i suppose this is how they would have made the wooden patterns actually ,...so i have now made the side pieces ..the slots are cut out to match the tags to hold everything in place... still more to do however ........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2018, 11:29:41 PM »
the lower opening is made ..also with tags and slots...The chuck casing was used to bend the brass around...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2018, 11:47:24 PM »
Just that part makes a big difference in the appearance, this is going to be great!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2018, 03:25:10 AM »
Hi Chris , thanks yes i am quite pleased that it is all coming together.....I have been making the smaller web parts and I made some as per the drawing ,but. they didn't look right so i took the measurements from the job and made a patten and have made them again ...... they are made in pairs as they are on both sides of the standard. they are soldered together and sawn out and filed to shape the hole is drilled and tapped and as they are of a rounded profile the outsides are filed off and then attached to the rod and cleaned up with sand paper.  The parts are then positioned and superglued in place prior to drilling .....The pattern is arrowed on the last pic

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2018, 02:38:49 AM »
the iron maiden has been made to hold all the parts in place ready to silver solder !!... Now i am making these standards like castings ,i am getting a collection of these clamps.... i have also made the bolted foot parts... `````also it is Medla time  just waiting for them to 'Blet' >>>>>>>>>>>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2018, 02:45:45 AM »
Slick setup for soldering. And to discipline shop elves...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2018, 02:27:05 AM »
The standards have been soldered together and the inside details sawn out and filed up.. so this is the first one and the next will be tackled now i know how best do it .......I don't know about the lining out though.!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal