Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72032 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:26 AM »
Full of water and it froze, expanding ice popped it?

Or, your shop elves have discovered a recipe for C4...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2020, 03:00:18 AM »
Hi Chris, Ok thanks for that and it must have been a really quick frost...?  the copper pipes split quite often in the watering system actually... and the split was always at the top of the  horizontal pipes ??  could we use this as an industrial process  ?? like the reverse of heat forming ??? I will be thinking about this now ...perhaps MJM could tell us .... :thinking: :headscratch:

Willy

Online derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2020, 03:56:08 AM »
..."SS container"  :facepalm:.....the material shape/thickness is too thin to be drawn into a tube, so best guess is a sheet of carbon steel which has been roll formed with fused joints into a tubular shape.....then flashed with 1/10 of a micron of electroless Nickle

In Australia such items [food canisters, embezzled with different names] kitchen tidy bins..........toilet brush tubular holders]....are marketed .....all paper thin metal with a surface finish similar to ground/machine linished looking like a stainless finish :facepalm:........certainly Martensitic [magnetic] steel [I have one of the former & two of the latter]

Naturally unable to offer any root cause of failure [apart from mechanical overload] :headscratch: with your find from the bottom of the garden   .....throw it in the steel recycling bin & don't worry about it

Derek
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:00:01 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2020, 08:22:07 AM »
Hi Willy, good to see that you are well, keeping fit at the allotment and making progress on that governor.

I am not much on metallurgy, but am inclined to think like Derek that it may be plated steel.

Those splits look too straight to be a metallurgical failure.  It looks like the can was used as a plant pot, and was cut open to plant out the growing plant.  Looks a bit straight for hand shears, but a swift blow with a vertical shovel blade can split a pot (also sitting vertical, so the shovel only cuts the thickness) when the time comes.   

You could test it with a magnet.  If it really is SS, it will not be magnetic.  But unless it really responds well to a bit of a clean up and some polish, I would also be inclined to throw it out.  I have one of the vessels Derek mention on my bench, the thought was that it might look good as a boiler casing, but I now think it will rust after the boiler is fired up a few times.  (Should have tried the blow torch on it when I did some silver soldering the other day.)

It is always good to see more progress on the governor.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

ChuckKey

« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
I would look at hydrogen embrittlement / stress corrosion cracking.  This is why you don't make boilers out of stainless steel. The straightness of the fracture is rather surprising. I have had a similar stainless can split in much the same way. It had been used for several years to hold salt.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:18:31 PM by ChuckKey »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #425 on: March 27, 2020, 08:38:51 PM »
Hi All, This container (Coffee) was in my shed . It was used to store seeds and it had a plastic top on it .I have tested it with a strong magnet and it is only slightly magnetic ?? I don't think I have attacked it with any thing and it is really springy with the sides trying to straiten themselves ?? I could try heating it up to see what happens..perhaps to red/white hot ?? Thanks for the suggestions.....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #426 on: March 28, 2020, 01:36:09 AM »
Ok  I have now heated up the Tonge part of the cannister and it is still very springy ..the same as before ?

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #427 on: March 30, 2020, 01:24:29 AM »
More work tonight and I have to make the bars from bar stock and the only machining will be drilling the holes. the rest will be done by filing This part is actually a trial part to find the best way to make it !!These bars are very slender so the final ones will be challenging !!!

willy

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #428 on: March 30, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
Nice work Willy!   Your eyesight is much better than mine :old:  That "vice" looks a useful bit of kit.               Regards       Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2020, 02:18:01 AM »
Hi Terry, thanks and I am still working and changing my mind over how best to make these parts.. I have lost my camera however so can't post any pics till I get a new one....

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2020, 02:43:40 AM »
Your shop elves steal your camera? Those nasty little .... um,  fellows!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #431 on: April 05, 2020, 01:12:17 AM »
Hi Chris, possibly ..they also took my battery charger and my bank card , and ate through my stop/tail lights wires !!!  So all the shops are closed  so I will have to look on line....

Willy :(

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2020, 01:50:10 AM »
Hi Willy, so sorry to hear about your car(?)  A really nasty thing for someone to do at any time but particularly now.  Hope you are able to get things sorted soon.

Back to that piece of unknown metal.  Sorry to have been a bit quiet on that front, but not really my area.  But I do wonder if it is showing signs of rust after the heating, particularly if a bit wet around any scratches.

Some people suggest you can tell by the colour for the sparks if you touch it to a grinder, but unfortunately, I don’t know the code to interpret the results, so don’t know if this would be helpful.

Hope you are well and still making progress with your files.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2020, 11:16:37 PM »
Thanks MJM and I will investigate further with the can !!  I have continued with the governor and am now doing something different ..also making the parts smaller to scale ..I tried to get the holes in the ball correct at 90 degrees in all planes , but that didn't work out to well so I drilled them using square stock ..then turned the ball in the lathe ..also decided to use round rod rather than try to file this part.. Still spending loads of time at the allotment ..

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #434 on: April 07, 2020, 02:09:19 AM »
A bit more work and this is largely experimental but seems to be working out ok.. a bit more filing and fettling ...

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal