Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72046 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #390 on: February 14, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
Hi Willy, still progressing well on the build.

I meant to comment on your earlier reply about the restoration.  It is a great result to have the engine working again, even if only on air.  Everyone working on it has done a great job.

I thought we talked about condensation of moisture from the air due to the cooling on expansion when the engine does work.  I can’t locate which post it was.  It might have been a bit off topic like this one.

Ideally you would include a dryer in the air system but that might not be affordable for the museum unless some sponsorship can be obtained.  I assume you would have an oil injector in system to ensure some lubrication, and this would help with corrosion protection.  It is a complex path from atmospheric air with some humidity, through compression, cooling in the after cooler, receiver and air distribution piping.  Exactly what humidity in the exhaust air will depend on the how much work is done during expansion, and how much cooler the air is than atmospheric inlet air.  I assume you have some other engines running on air that would give you a practical example as a guide.  You could also try taking temperature and humidity measurements on the exhaust air and on air drawn from the cylinder after everything warms up.  As always it wowill be hard to beat experience.  So if no other information, so more frequent inspections if that is practical after early runs. 

A bit off topic for this thread, so if you want to continue the discussion, we could wake up thermodynamics again.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2020, 01:24:10 AM »
More work on the valve train ..just sorting out the dimensions before I make the proper parts !!  The next parts are the governor components. The standards cross strut is quite an involved part and will be quite tricky to make !!

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #392 on: February 26, 2020, 02:24:36 AM »
I have started on the governor support bracket ..the first part is to make the  (cast in) bolting brackets .. the bar is milled to a  'T' section and the standards are filed to receive the part ,this is done withe the standards in place... once in place the bottom part  of the cross bracket will be temporarily glued in place and the bolting process carried out away from the standards as there is no room to do this on the engine......

Willy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:28:37 AM by steam guy willy »

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2020, 02:39:53 AM »
The other bolting part has been filed and fitted and the bottom bar of the cross bracket has been drilled and tapped and 12BA bolts fitted...this all went quite well and temporary gluing the parts together for the drilling worked ok...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2020, 02:47:31 AM »
Shaping up very well Willy, all those intricate shapes look terrific.   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2020, 03:18:01 AM »
Hi Chris, thanks for that and I have been making the rest of the bracket...I have drawn it out and there are lots of not very strait lines connecting all the parts so it is mostly filed up by eye!! the actual governor is going to be quite tricky and the bevel gears will be very small as they have to fit inside the box that is 1/4" square on the outside ???!!!The parts have been pegged to help the soldering process keep everything in position.....and the curves will be annealed to stop the parts springing apart.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2020, 04:04:18 AM »
Kapton tape??

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2020, 07:40:42 AM »
these little intricate parts look very difficult to carve, no room left for holding a tap or even a spanner or nut driver...great project !

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »
Kapton tape??

Pete

Hi Pete, Yes    But only useful for soft solders actually..!!

Willy

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #399 on: February 29, 2020, 03:00:40 AM »
these little intricate parts look very difficult to carve, no room left for holding a tap or even a spanner or nut driver...great project !

Hi, I do have a lot of hand tools to fashion these parts and also lots of strangely shaped files that make things a lot easier.!! and I have made all the parts for the bracket including annealing the brass to fit the curves... I now need to make a jig to hold everything together whilst soldering the part....I will be finishing the part with more filing when it is all together...

Willy

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #400 on: March 01, 2020, 02:43:20 AM »
The bracket is now soft soldered together and a bit of fettling done. I have had to adjust the bolt spacing on the standard..bracket 'interface' as the threaded holes were too close together, I silver soldered some brass screws in and then redrllled and tapped it... also a pic of some of my small modified nut runners ...The next part is the governor proper and this will be quite challenging !!!

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2020, 11:59:18 PM »
I have been drawing the governor parts and they are quite tiny...and the bevel gears will be about 3/32" in diameter.?  I may follow watch practice and just use thin gears at right angles ... Also I saw this engine in a shop window... it is supposed to be a Stuart No 1 but the cylinder has been made following horizontal/locomotive engine practice also not very well  as the slide valve shows... here are some pics of it.. it has the cylinder bottom casting so it will be quite easy to complete the engine satisfactorily.  (one day) !!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #402 on: March 06, 2020, 12:03:44 AM »
Nice find!  Better keep the cat door latched or Surus might sneak in...

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #403 on: March 07, 2020, 03:11:22 AM »
Hi Chris , Yes but this will be going into storage  with all the other future projects..!! The governor is begun with milling the base to size and the profile turned up.  the square stock is turned at both ends to hold in the small Unimat lathe. T part is returned to the mill to remove the inside for the gears.....

Willy

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #404 on: March 11, 2020, 03:21:15 AM »
Ok ,Still figuring out how to do the governor gears and stuff... I am using clock gears to make the bevel gears ... The flats on the bottom of the brass weight was filed and the hole in the lathe mandrel was put to good use as it goes all the way through to tighten the chuck.at 180 degrees..The pin in the gear was a No 73 drill about 22"thou and I have a supply of very small taper pins...

Willy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:28:00 AM by steam guy willy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal