Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 73915 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #360 on: January 11, 2020, 01:27:50 AM »
I have been drawing more of the components and have also just acquired some finished parts and castings of a Clarckson vertical compound engine . the cylinders are 2 1/2 " and 1 3/4"  so quite a large engine...also the drawings are quite scant ? I don't know if there is a ME constructional series or even a build log on the  MEM  ??. this is a future project so will go on a shelf....
Willy

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #361 on: January 11, 2020, 07:38:23 AM »
Nice set of castings  :embarassed:

...also the drawings are quite scant ?

:lolb: Yes standard Clarkson Quality drawings. To complete the set: Do you have sheet VC/2?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #362 on: January 11, 2020, 07:00:32 PM »
Hi Jo, yes I do have all the drawings thanks....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2020, 03:01:05 AM »
I have started on the pump parts...however most of it is hidden under the bed plate...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2020, 01:29:38 AM »
The feed pump is filed up using a filing button and soldered together  and screwed in place with 12 BA nuts and bolts...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #365 on: January 23, 2020, 01:57:51 AM »
More work on the pump rod and crosshead... also I have noticed that the straps have an intriguing feature that is not usually replicated in most models. the slots in the straps for the gib and cotters are not rectangular but are curved at each end ....after some research I discovered that this was to avoid stress points that might occur in the corners...  pics...

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #366 on: January 23, 2020, 02:17:01 AM »
Interesting detail on the slots. So if the wedges are square cornered but the slots are rounded, they touch just along the corner? Or is the top of the wedge rounded farther in?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #367 on: January 23, 2020, 02:42:35 AM »
Hi Chris, Thanks for looking in ,and the cotters do not actually reach the top of the slot as it pushes against the brass bearing to take up  wear, and the bottom of the gib is also rounded to fit snugly with the bottom curved slot... I think this is an earlier example of working before better steels were formulated...

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #368 on: January 23, 2020, 02:55:22 AM »
Ah, I see it now, was thinking that it pushed the other way. Makes a lot of sense what they did. Thanks!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #369 on: January 25, 2020, 12:03:22 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63c9KR0bqb8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63c9KR0bqb8</a>   Found this old video of the electrically heated steam boiler and Persious engine.

The next parts tomato are the eccentrics and rods.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2020, 12:08:13 AM »
Watching the video and the engine run, lotsa fun. Watching the expression on your face when the safety valve goes, Priceless!  A great setup!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #371 on: January 25, 2020, 01:34:05 AM »
hi Chris , thanks it is fun and I meant to say .....to make... not tomato !!! but that is apples spell check for you !!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2020, 03:10:29 AM »
Starting on the eccentric straps.....The two half parts are sawn out and the edges milled, the halves are then soft soldered together then soft soldered a sturdy piece of printed Cut board . this is the bolted to the faceplate and turned to the inside dimension. these straps slot into the keyed part, this is turned on the lathe with the outside larger than the finished dimension. this is to use as a guide to file the profile of the strap. The eccentric will  then be reduced in diameter to expose the brass part of the strap.  The profile is filed by hand using the back of the stock to bring the file down to the curves without filing to far.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #373 on: January 29, 2020, 01:59:42 AM »
The eccentric has now been drilled and reamed and the outside turned down to reveal the brass strap, it was parted off and then the keyway broached out. the two halves have been drilled and tapped for 10 BA bolts. The keyway is off centre as the Meyer valve gear has a different movement but has to be on the same slot in the crankshaft. the other strap now needs to be made and there is still lots of tidying up to do including the slot between the bolting faces.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #374 on: January 29, 2020, 02:02:15 AM »
That came out great! Looking at the photo of the real one, that upper projection is a door on top? For putting in oil or grease? Never seen one like that before (or at least did not notice one). Great proportions.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal