Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72018 times)

Online steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #330 on: November 17, 2019, 02:07:08 AM »
Hi Chris, Yes you are right and all these prototypes are quite different in their construction. this is what I like about them I suppose.!!  The entablature is now screwed all in one piece with a slight modification. I have made it quite a bit longer as I have to figure out how to join the two parts together ?? it should be a simple job of sawing the parts at 45 degrees and then soldering with a butt joint ? however I need to hold them together to keep them in exactly the right place so I can avoid too much JB weld...

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2019, 02:10:41 AM »
I have now got the strap girders lazer cut and after several attempts they have come out ok. There were quite a few made ,and the laser printer programme needed to be tweaked !!also starting to carve out the entablature parts ...they will be filed out and then butt jointed with a spigot and silver soldered.

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #332 on: November 20, 2019, 02:53:30 AM »
The entablatures have now been filed up soft soldered together......one of the things about filing parts that fit together is that there is lots of room for nice fillets !!  so.. more fettling to do and filling with JB WELD   I have puttee engine together and it is coming together nicely....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #333 on: November 20, 2019, 03:04:33 AM »
VERY impressive! That is one heck of a lot of shaping.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #334 on: November 20, 2019, 04:59:47 AM »
Coming together beautifully, Willy. 

I am continually amazed at how you are able to produce such complex shapes with mostly hand tools and simple bits of material and minimal waste.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2019, 11:31:21 PM »
been bit poorly this week but getting better..

willy

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #336 on: December 04, 2019, 02:26:01 AM »
 My Back is better and am in the wrong job!!!!  the Osteopath charged £43 for 20 mins... that's  £5000 a week !!!  So back to work ..I have been Working on the motion work and also profiling the entablature... also I have been making some parts on the Unimat Lathe... I have changed some of the parts and have made a saddle stop with a jubilee clip and have changed the chuck key so I can use an Allen key...this makes it quicker to use....When I turn the central part of the reach rods I first turn the end of the stock to fit in a brass bush that is held in the chuck rather than using a centre...this can hold it really  very stable and prevents any wobbling...!

Willy

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #337 on: December 04, 2019, 09:20:16 PM »
Looking good Willy :ThumbsUp:    Glad to hear you are feeling better.             Terry

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #338 on: December 05, 2019, 02:41:42 AM »
Hi Terry , yes thanks and as the days are getting short I'm doing more stuff at home... More action on the motion work ...the reach rods are tapped 12 BA for the take up bolts  and I have made a pair of filing buttons to profile the ends. lots more work to do yet ...

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #339 on: December 05, 2019, 02:47:28 AM »
Hi Willy,  what are the rabbit ear fasteners for, tensioning the bearings, or oil cup positions?  Or tv reception?!

:popcorn:

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #340 on: December 05, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »
Hi Chris , they are for taking up the 'play' in the bearings ..  and there don't appear to be oiling cups here.. but there are at the top of the straps ...perhaps the oil does leak down to them....There are quite a few oil traps for reusing the oil actually ..Not for the telly as it uses  "broadband". at least in the paintwork !!! :Lol:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:28:41 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #341 on: December 05, 2019, 08:03:36 PM »
They look a lot like the lube fittings on the main shafts on the Lombard, where they would put in a stick of solid grease and use the 'bolt' to force the grease into the bearing, giving it a little tightening once in a while as it ran to force in more grease. Since those sticks are no longer available, the museum made adapters to modern grease gun fittings that went inside them, with a cap that looks like the original bolt.

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #342 on: December 14, 2019, 02:52:02 AM »
Hi Chris, Thanks for the info..I think these are just to adjust the bearings as there are two of them ..however there is no  oil/grease pots on them so I suspect they were lubricated at intervals... 

Back to work after being involved with the election..canvasing and telephoning and ferrying people about....so it is all over now and have got my life back !!

The last part  the reach rod was made too big as I followed the drawing dimensions . but looking at the photo I saw it was much too large so had to make the new one by measuring it from the photo that had a rule next to it !!...

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2019, 02:59:26 AM »
the parts coming   together slowly.....

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #344 on: December 25, 2019, 01:12:07 AM »
so doing more work on the engine ..have been busy doing  Xmassy things.  Am now making the straps to correct dimensions and to fit the upper entablature . I have modified the small red vice with a strap to stop the small bearing parts falling on the floor !!....My phone has also decided to flip the screen to a mirror image ???more pics....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:08:26 PM by steam guy willy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal