Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 71960 times)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2019, 12:11:18 PM »
Hi Willy,

I had noticed those details in some of your earlier pictures, and wondered how on earth you would make those, or would you make something simpler.

That jig is a most ingenious solution to a quite difficult problem.

Wonderful progress.

MJM460

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:46:41 AM by MJM460 »
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2019, 01:13:49 AM »
Hi All ..the jig seemed to e a good idea at the time but i need to sort out how to actually use it as the finished part was a bit wonky ..However  on some of these engines the prototype parts were also a bit wonky....I may use brass again as i have found this silver solution that i thought could tone down the brass to give a sort of steely hue...still working on that...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:20:21 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2019, 02:28:03 AM »
Having another go at these strap inserts but still not happy with them.. Am thinking about using a slitting saw to get the right dimensions ... using it in the lathe...  however the diagonals will be quite thin  about .014" and might get distorted quite easily when cutting... will see what happens...I have a slitting saw attachment and some .015" brass shim so will try it out !!

Willy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:30:31 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2019, 02:09:12 AM »
Ok... I have been rethinking the straps and have modified the jig...Rather than cutting diagonal slots i have remodelled it and now just use the corners of the sliding parts to place the saw blade .I will be using the extra thin  .015" shim and using the very thin  Xacto mini saw This has seemed to worked on the first diagonal but, when i come to cut the other diagonal it may distort the first one ......we shall see what happens once they are silver soldered in place  !!The first diagonals were  .033" thick as i thought they would be easier to make !!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #304 on: October 02, 2019, 02:18:33 AM »
Wow, thats some small bits!

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2019, 02:39:48 AM »
HI Chris, yes and one of the bits seem to have got smaller.......I thought I would be clever to saw the other web part without distorting the first ones. However after trying to fill up the gaps with soft solder to stiffen everything up when I filed the soft solder off , the part had disintegrated and seemed to have withered away !! I was using a flame source of heat and thought I was just filling the gaps with the solder!!  So I will have to make the part again and go back to the drawing board ??

willy

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2019, 03:17:40 AM »
Willy....it's the old story [in reverse]......"the hand is not quicker than the eye"......

So the gas flame is heating the iron first......the solder has not reached the molten state......then before you know it the solder has exceeded the fluid puddling state & ends up as splattered droplets & burning your trousers :lolb:

There is a Chap from Canada 'George G'...who posts on Model Mayhem.........he is a true Artisan :facepalm:  in soft soldering brass scratch built components for older model ships

Derek

PS...I once partially submerged a 3" iron bench vice in water in the kitchen sink as a heat sink :Lol: it worked perfectly.....I had soft soldered M3 tapped brass hex standoffs as feet, but each time I attempted to solder the additional vertical valve spool....the heat transfer affected the alignment of the feet.......so into the sink with water  :ThumbsUp:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:08:04 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2019, 03:46:24 AM »
Hi Derek, thanks for the post and yes it is a learning curve when we try to be jack of all trades but masters of some !!!!  I have had more ideas about this part and have come up with the following.... After the insertion of the first diagonal parts   .015". and silver soldering in place the small wedges were installed to keep these parts from distorting . this seems to have worked but I do need to make a new jig to enable greater depth of insertion also if the part is made from steel it would be much more stable.. when I came to clean it up the pressure of the file was too much for this small parts.... the photos...

willy

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2019, 04:48:06 PM »
Willy that is an interesting sequence for getting the final result. Like all things there are a variety of ways to get to the same destination.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

ChuckKey

« Reply #309 on: October 05, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
I have to admire your perseverance with a right bugger of a part. I think if I absolutely had to make those I might start with a spark eroder.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #310 on: October 05, 2019, 11:47:01 PM »
Hi all , yes thanks, there are different ways to do stuff and a spark eroded would be the way to go...however ,I dont have one of those !!......yet.. or the skill to programme the drawings.... I will persevere with what I am doing  though as there is no rush...It is the Forncett exhibition and gathering this Sunday but rain is forecast all day... I will get lots of photos though.  Will see all the local M.I.M. colleages there

willy

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #311 on: October 06, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »
That's a neat solution to building a tricky part  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Still following along in the background  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #312 on: October 12, 2019, 02:01:24 AM »
Hi Roger, yes..however I have met my friend that does laser cutting and just asked him about how thin/thick he could cut parts !! so quick as a flash he switched on the computer and drew out a sort of part to see what would happen and then cut out the parts in black perspex....!!  So this is what he came up with.. I have put some metal coloured paint on it and it sort of might do....we shall see. The Forncett exhibition was a bit 'moist' with torrential rain all day. So only one large scale model ventured out.. and only a few exhibitors inside... I will post some photos soon...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2019, 02:59:35 AM »
more work on the pump straps.  Also another vice with a strange bolting down arrangment ??  I am going to the Midland show on Friday and will be wearing my   "steam guy willy " cap so if you see me say Hi !!

Willy...........

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
I am guessing that the second vice puts the height up to a better one for the filing plus the good one does not get beat up with any file marks.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal