Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72043 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 12:54:50 AM »
Looks right nice to me!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »
Very nicely done Willy!             Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 05:43:47 PM »
Looks right nice to me!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
......Here in Norfolk we say   'Roight   Noice but it still means the some thing I have to attach more bits to it now that overhang the mouldings to attach the standards and bearings too...Thanks Terry   I am quite pleased with it too and glad i didn't have to make a new one !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 03:09:25 AM »
The slots for the various protrusions have been milled out . There are some chequer plates installed so the slots for those are also milled.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
That base is quite the project in itself.
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 04:49:04 PM »
Hi Chris , yes it is quite involved and i am going to try and replicate the chequer plate !! I have a few ideas up my sleeve  so shall see what happens ???   watch this space ,,as they say.................It would be easy to engrave it but then it would be in reverse !!???

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2018, 05:30:00 PM »
Base is looking good. This is how I did the chequer plate access covers on my E&A if its any use.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,705.msg12483.html#msg12483

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2018, 06:39:45 PM »
Base is looking good. This is how I did the chequer plate access covers on my E&A if its any use.

Jason, thats quite clever, came out great.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2018, 06:57:17 PM »

...Thanks for that ...i was thinking i could do it by using a slitting saw to make a negative impression then  squeezing some very thin stuff into it using a press with some rubber. Either some .5 thou brass shim or even some  ;Bacofoil' and gluing that in place ?  However your way looks really good !..

Willy

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 07:15:19 PM »
I've seen similar done with thin copper shim pressed into a negative that was then soft soldered to thicker material, not sure if it would work with the very thing raised areas on the E&A style but looks good on a "cast" step.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
That's an interesting prototype and a good start on the model  :praise2:  :praise2: What does that little brass plaque, open and shut, next to what I think is a pump rod refer too? My knowledge of these engines in very limited based mostly on Crofton and the Brighton Enginerium.
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2018, 12:10:51 AM »
That's an interesting prototype and a good start on the model  :praise2:  :praise2: What does that little brass plaque, open and shut, next to what I think is a pump rod refer too? My knowledge of these engines in very limited based mostly on Crofton and the Brighton Enginerium.
.. Hi Roger the open and shut plaque is where the lever for a condensing  type of engine fit. The exhaust steam is sometimes condensed to form a slight Vacuum to actually increase the efficacy of a steam engine, However as this engine was used in a Hospital the exhaust steam was used to heat the water used there. When these engines were built ,the patterns and castings were reused for lots of differently configured engines, a bit like  'mix and match'
thanks for looking in

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2018, 03:03:05 AM »
I have been trying out a different method to make this chequer plate by scoring the brass ship on the back then turning it over and soldering it to a backing plate... There are some trial pieces to see how it looks ....................Also the first insert is made and screwed int place. I have used 5 thou brass shim and a fairly blunt scriber.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2018, 03:36:43 AM »
Looks like the old technique of (sure I am mispelling it)  repousee, basically embossing from the back. Would it work to scribe it over a narrow shallow slot?
Cool stuff!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 03:07:14 AM »
Hi Chris , I scribed on the wood bench top so i think that is ok ..It does distort the ship though ,  it tries to curl up.... More work on the base the inserts have been sorted in the slots and "the cast in" curved stops for the main bearing has been fitted .   Next is to take the bed apart and mill out the hollow part in the curved end and then mill out the recesses and insert the webs..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal