Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72094 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2019, 02:49:30 AM »
Hi all.. I have been thinking about the barring slots on the flywheel. I have a friend that has a laser cutter and computer skills and he has made a slotted ring to put in the flywheel from some perspex...   It may be possible to just turn a slot in the flywheel and break the ring and attach it rather like fitting a piston ring ...  some photos of the parts....

Willy
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 03:04:27 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2019, 03:32:50 AM »
Very slick solution!   :popcorn:

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #287 on: September 24, 2019, 03:52:32 AM »
Hi Willy,, some time ago I have done it this way.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4060.msg74852.html#msg74852
Only to show an other possibility of getting a similar result, but all from steel.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2019, 03:59:14 AM »
Hi Willy,, some time ago I have done it this way.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4060.msg74852.html#msg74852
Only to show an other possibility of getting a similar result, but all from steel.

I really like how you applied the square sections around the hub and notched in the little bars at the rim, great look!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #289 on: September 24, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »
Hi Achim , thanks for the pics and there was quite a lot of work there  And of course it is all metal !!  I have now cut the slot and inserted the perspex slots. ..

Hi Chris , this is one way of doing this using modern technology and i hope it will look ok when it is painted...It might be possible to cut a similar ring from steel and bend that to insert it like the perspex one. one can do it with piston rings of course..

Willy

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2019, 04:58:14 AM »
Willy....... did this E&A [main engine]...have a smaller steam driven baring gear engagement engine?....

With large modern marine diesel engines, electric motor driven "baring gear" is used for rotating the engine via the crankshaft for all inspection and maintenance procedures

So was the "baring gear" on this E&A single cylinder steam engine used for a starting/timing position?, or also the latter .....being inspection and maintenance procedures?

Derek
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:03:30 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #291 on: September 25, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »
Hi Derek, This engine had just a baring pole that located at the back of the engine with a roller on the fulcrum point into the square pockets on the flywheel... On larger engines the steam driven baring engine used an involute gear that engaged with the involute gear/pockets on the flywheel....  This engine is not that large and all the components are readily acssesable  for maintenance purposes.... thanks for looking in...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #292 on: September 25, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Hi Derek, also on some engines the barring arrangement was a large curved plate with slots bolted to the wall next to the flywheel and rather than 'pockets' in the flywheel a series of slots in the curved plate were used with the bar resting on the spokes...A bit harsh on the paintwork but a cheaper way of manufacture.....

Willy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:19:27 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
Thanks Willy......[I have watched the video with the steam baring engine on that very large multi cylinder green water pumping engine]

So with the E&A engine...assuming that the manual lever barring was used to set the timing prior to bringing on line with steam

Would this be ~~ X degrees below TDC? [for admission of the steam] or would this positioning be set as a % of stroke below TDC?

I am guessing a larger volume of steam [with a higher % of stroke] to expand would have greater rotational acceleration?

Will you consider the governor? [as you show in October 2018]........will you consider cylinder port drains....[for warm up or expel condensate] again, in the images from that date, a Spirax Y type angular steam drain is shown in a bypass loop to the engine valve port]
Derek
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:34:40 AM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2019, 02:43:21 AM »
Hi Derek,  I think the barring was achieved by the engine driver that did it by trial and error to start off with and then made a Mark on the flywheel for future reference . This is a working engine and it is working with no load so they have to be quite careful that it will not 'run away' .. so the governor and the steam valve have to be set very carefully. There are a lot of quite  modern small pipes on this engine about  1" diameter and so as this is 1/18th scale that will make the pipes and the fittings about 55 thou !! this is very small so i will put on some pipework but with oversize fittings. The governor is being made but will take more time to compleat towards the end of the build.....
I am making the straps and have started with some angle iron milled out and the bearings turned up and filed to fit....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2019, 02:22:50 AM »
The spacer is made next ...it should be steel but i have made a trial with brass... the lattice parts will be made next.  I have a supply of  Karen Milan brass name letters from Jarrolds skip...very useful stuff from the skip so thanks Jarrolds !! :whoohoo:.  I may actually bright nickel plate the spacers but will see what happens..

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #296 on: September 27, 2019, 06:02:51 AM »
So Willy says....."1/18th scale that will make the pipes and the fittings about 55 thou !!" ......understood Willy

K&S brass tubing goes down to 1/16" OD [ 0.0625" OD  x 0.014" wall & [despite multiple annealing] this is a difficult tube size to bend without collapse  :hammerbash:

Anton, the French manufacturer of my gas regulator has soft sealing O-ring ports to suit M2 OD x 0.45 wall tube  [0.079" OD]  .......and as expected, I found this near impossible to bend and fabricate multiple bends

So to resolve this, I chose the nominated M2 OD tubing [disconnected in the yellow box], but soldered as a standpipe into 1/8" OD which I have good success in bending & fabrication

Derek
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:08:28 AM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #297 on: September 27, 2019, 02:30:24 PM »
K&S brass tubing goes down to 1/16" OD [ 0.0625" OD  x 0.014" wall & [despite multiple annealing] this is a difficult tube size to bend without collapse  :hammerbash:

I have had good luck bending small tube by first annealing and then filling the tube with a styrene rod bend it then burn out the styrene.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #298 on: September 28, 2019, 02:42:33 AM »
Hi Derek,  yes the 1/16th pipe ,,.  .0625" is available  however the fittings to match it would be very fiddly to make !! ..we shall see what happens !!

Mike . that sounds like a good idea...here in blighty there is a supply of small springs that the pipe can go into to facilitate bending...

More work on the strap spacers.. I have made a clamp to saw and file the angled parts of the strap construction  which are silver soldered int place....

Willy

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2019, 07:14:00 AM »
Hi Achim , thanks for the pics and there was quite a lot of work there  And of course it is all metal !!  I have now cut the slot and inserted the perspex slots. ..

Hi Chris , this is one way of doing this using modern technology and i hope it will look ok when it is painted...It might be possible to cut a similar ring from steel and bend that to insert it like the perspex one. one can do it with piston rings of course..

Willy

Hi Willy, that looks perfect. I am sure with the right primer and color it will be a masterpiece.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal