Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 71997 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #270 on: September 04, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
Hi MJM, ok ..........A bit better..

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #271 on: September 04, 2019, 01:11:22 PM »
a better pic

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »
A larger pic...

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #273 on: September 04, 2019, 11:57:30 PM »
Hi Willy, I am sorry, I did not expect you to reply so soon.  It was late here and I went off to bed.

You seem to have the technique now, those last two at 200 to 300 kB size came up well.  You are allowed up to eight, but I must admit that I find that a few too many to keep in mind with the text unless they are really quite self explanatory.

I am looking forward to seeing what the second rod does on the valve gear.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #274 on: September 05, 2019, 02:27:35 AM »
Hi All ,  Quite busy with the Governments machinations at the mo in sync with my machinations in the WKSP ....!!  the glands have been tidied up and the parts prepped and soft soldered to the "casting" ...need to wait an hour for it to cool down...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #275 on: September 05, 2019, 02:51:33 AM »
Quite a complex shape! Looking great!    :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #276 on: September 06, 2019, 02:31:44 AM »
Hi Chris , yes quite complex but it is manageable !!  more work using the  .035" 14 BA studding !! the nuts are quite small and i have used a 3 BA grub screw as a box spanner ...The bottom gasket is made and the holes in the cylinder are broached out to make it easier to assemble..

willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #277 on: September 11, 2019, 02:32:56 AM »
More work prepping for a steam chest .. I have drilled the holes for the cylinder cap... 10 holes and i have used this multiple sided jig to space them . also silver soldering the flange for the gland then filing to shape using an aluminium plate to protect the cylinder cap from file marks the. I have used a cotton yarn charged with granite from a carpenters pencil for the making. I have made up some gaskets and bolted on the steam chest covers. I have also had to seal the Meyer valve gear holes before i can do the steam test...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #278 on: September 11, 2019, 03:27:39 AM »
Okay, that's a new one for me, gotta see more of that multi sided jig and how you use it....   :thinking:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #279 on: September 12, 2019, 02:46:06 AM »
Hi Chris, More info on the jig  ,it has accurate faces of 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.  So you put it in the lathe chuck and using the 'footed' square bring it up flush with the facets and the lathe bed.!! I have scribed 9 equidistant lines on this piece brass. I also use the 60 tooth /120 division bull wheel on the lathe ..however you can only get 1 2 3 4 5 6  8 10 12 divisions with it !!  also i have colour coded the teeth to make it quicker to set up...the cross slotting in the ident also has a cross slot to be able to get 120 divisions.      also i have a new tool !! this is a calliper to check dimensions, it is graduated in  1/64ths " so the numbers go up to 8 and then 1  so it is not a decimal inch tool ,but a  "hexadecimal " ??  tool ?? there is no makers name on it however ? and i have not seen one before !?it also has a screw to keep the dimension if one has to measure an inside dimension.

Willy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #280 on: September 12, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »
Interesting tool Willy and thank you for showing an example on how to use it :ThumbsUp:

But in my world it can't be a hexadecimal system as this has to be based on 16 - see :
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal_numeral_system

Oh and nice build of yet another old English history piece.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #281 on: September 12, 2019, 12:48:22 PM »
Hi Willy, the base 8 number system is called Octal, I believe.  As Admiral says, hexadecimal is base 16, and pretty common in the world of computing.  It’s easier to convert to binary than decimal.  Definitely works for a device graduated in sixty-fourths.

But I think they sold you a pup on that new tool.  It doesn’t look to new to me!

I also found that little jig and the way you use it for dividing.  Fascinating, it would be a challenge to try and make, especially in one piece.  Thank you for posting the detail of it in use.

And great work on that beautiful engine.  So many new techniques for me to learn.  I look forward to every update.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #282 on: September 19, 2019, 03:28:36 AM »
I have now connected everything and have tried a preliminary air test  !! Not a valid vimeo URL   So it seems to run ok ..and now i can make the rest of the parts !!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:42:57 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #283 on: September 19, 2019, 03:31:31 AM »
Excellent!!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #284 on: September 19, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »
Hi Chris, err umm yes .and thanks....i was a bit apprehensive trying it without the Watt //motion  and the stays  etc etc but it seems to run ok also the crank and eccentric positions were just set up by eye !!  still i suppose it just becomes second nature !! I did have a lot of adjusting and remaking parts and things though before i attempted the trial >....

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal