Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 71963 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2019, 02:19:42 AM »
I have now made the valve and as there is not much room i have had to fit a buckle arrangement to it ... As i cannot see inside the valve chest i am having to make it up as i go along !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #256 on: August 22, 2019, 02:23:19 AM »
A bit more with the valve gear...still "winging" it  !!!

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #257 on: August 22, 2019, 03:08:42 AM »
Still watching the parts fly!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #258 on: August 22, 2019, 09:20:17 PM »
Hi Chris,  Yea....Here are some boats steaming this side of the pond ,on the pond at Forncett steam museum.   These parts are quite small and when i look at them in close up i see all the small mistakes ..also i will have to reposition the front valve rod  slightly !!

Willy .

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #259 on: August 24, 2019, 03:00:05 AM »
I now need to work out the throw of the eccentric to activate the valve gear. I have rigged up a dummy eccentric with a calculated throw and will use this visually to work out the actual dimensions using what measurements i have.....

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2019, 01:14:43 AM »
I have now worked out the measurements for the levers and rods for the valve events and also the throw for the eccentric offset. I think the actual slots for the ports would be very small in this model size ,so i made them a bigger and had to resize the dimensions.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2019, 01:53:25 AM »
Well worth the time to plot out the valve and levers, watching along...   :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #262 on: August 29, 2019, 01:42:17 AM »
The valve rod glands are tackled next using 12BA bolts and nuts. I have used a flat piece of steel to file them to profile together . I have modified my drilling machine accurately to drill small items. i have attached a steel plate to the aluminium bedplate as supplied and have used strong magnets to attach a block and the vice to the bottom plate. this is held quite tightly in place but can be slid sideways into position by eye quite accurately !!..the block will be ready for a steam test soon.

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2019, 02:40:38 AM »
The inlet and exhaust flanges are made next.....to enable the pipe and governor bolting faces to match i have made up a drilling box.  the cylinder block has been drilled using the magnetic technique to hold the unwieldy "casting" in place.... Also the hole for theMeyer valve rod was in the wrong place so the hole was drilled larger ,tapped , and a larger screw lactated in place...

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2019, 02:45:35 PM »
Have now been making the governor valve and this is made in three parts to get the correct 'casting' profile that will be silver soldered together ...The 12 BA bolts have a different A/F size to the nuts for some reason so there are two nut spinner sizes available from EKP....
Willy

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:Watching and learning. This is another of those projects that is beyond my capabilities at present :(  Excellent work!                             Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #266 on: September 04, 2019, 03:36:18 AM »
Hi Terry, Thanks for the post and i am sure you could do this sort of work if you had as many tools ,files and equipment as i have accumulated over the past 60 years !! i Cannot seem to post pictures at the moment ??
willy

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #267 on: September 04, 2019, 06:45:32 AM »
Hi Willy, I am another eagerly awaiting each post, and learning all the way.  It’s coming on beautifully.

I don’t think it the number of tools you have, its the nut on the handles that makes the difference.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #268 on: September 04, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
Hi MJM, it is also the ergonomics chicken bone on the handle that helps !! more pics.. I am still finding it difficult to post photos ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:25:02 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #269 on: September 04, 2019, 01:05:16 PM »
Hi Willy, it looks like you have selected the thumbnail instead of the reduced size picture.  It’s only 4.8 kB.

You are allowed up to 1000 kB but I find if you mail them to your self and select a small size for mailing or web posting, you get a few hundred kB which you save to photos and select for posting.  It seems to give reasonable image size and quality.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal