Author Topic: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.  (Read 72040 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Easton and Andersom beam engine at Bressingham.
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2019, 02:43:08 AM »
I have now been setting up the Perspex model with the motion work and piston to check that everything is working ok with all the clearances correct.  Although i initially measured the cylinder i thought i might need more clearance at the top and bottom and this has proved to be fortuitous . ...

Willy

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2019, 01:27:39 AM »
Nice work Willy just catching up on your thread love the entablature. ...... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:41:43 AM by Don1966 »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2019, 01:30:46 AM »
The perspex mockups have worked great. Excellent progress.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2019, 02:56:46 AM »
Hi all, thanks for the comments ...and.. now the perspex has been sort of made ,i am now confident to continue with the real one.. It has been drawn up and modified a few times with reference to the photographs . I have had to change a few things to accommodate the available nuts and bolts etc etc. I have made the basic cylinder and now have to make all the parts that will be silver soldered in place....the top of the cylinder block has extra dimensions that the top entablature is connected too via two columns. the cap will be made by soldering a large brass slab to a piece of stout PCB. this is bolted onto the faceplate and will be turned on the lathe. A few pics of the drawings etc etc..

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:47 AM »
A few more pics of the entablature support columns etc etc...

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2019, 07:48:43 AM »
Hi Willy, coming on well as always.  That is what I call real 3-D modelling as opposed to all the virtual stuff that is around.  We used to build complete oil refineries and similar plants that way, every pipe, valve , pump, compressor and pressure vessel, made in plastic and glued together.  Nothing quite so impressive as a miniature oil refinery in a very large room.  It replaces the drawings that were used previous to that.

Do you have a valve drawing showing how that second layer of the valve works with the second eccentric and adjusting handwheel?

What was the idea behind the pcb?

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2019, 02:48:40 AM »
So more work on the cylinder parts and the cylinder part of the top has the extended parts for the entablature columns. Hi MJM, the PCB is used to skim the plate to thickness without having to clamp it somehow... watch and clock makers use the same technique but use shellack that is melted on the faceplate. I would love to see one of those perspex models you talked about. Were all the valves and things made in house or did you buy them from a different company ? if you have any photos that would be great  !! At the moment i cannot see inside the steam chest so i don't know exactly how it is fitted up... i may just use the ordinary valve and just make the outside parts showing ?! I have seen a few drawings of these devices but they are quite complicated . so we shall see what happens... i could put a small photo inside the steam chest in case someone at a future date takes it apart !!!

Willy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:14:19 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2019, 02:36:23 AM »
starting on the valve chest...starting of with a 1" square block... removing the metal for the join to the cylinder with a 1" reamer......Quite a long job actually but a very accurate way of doing it... the block with most of it being cut away ready to silver solder. Also some more pics of the Meyer valve . the two moving valves need to be kept in close proximity , so buckles will have to be used .and also as the valve with the left and right handed parts need to be quite tight and the shaft is kept in one position by the glands ,this will also need some thinking about.....also very accurate machining and possibly a spring too keep everything tight. Things are taking a long time but i keep needing to think about it and also continually measure  each dimension...more than twice !!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:41:30 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2019, 02:58:07 AM »
That is a use for a reamer that I have not seen before, like a very long end mill. Is that commonly done? Shallow slow cutting advance?  The support at the tip must help a lot. Well done!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:25 AM »
hi Chris, i suppose its lateral thinking ...or thinking outside the box , or perhaps being lazy ??!!!  The component was quite long   about 3 inches  and as the reamer is about 6 inches long ,one could machine this length !!  if needed ,and because the reamer is held at both ends there is not too much distortion. Also as i live in Norfolk it is customary to ...dew you different bor  :lolb:

Willy

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2019, 03:00:12 AM »
Hi All  i have sawn off the steam chest part from the block that attaches to the cylinder and have started to machine it . It is attached with 22 10 BA studs and nuts so lots of accurate marking out and drilling !!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #206 on: June 15, 2019, 03:24:10 AM »
Coming together well!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2019, 11:14:29 AM »
Hi Willy, Using the pcb seems like a novel way to hold that plate for skimming.  I guess I am surprised that the pcb survived the heating necessary to solder that large mass.  You must have a deft hand for the job.  I have managed to lift tracks on circuit boards by being a bit heavy handed with the iron.

So nothing to do with reducing the heat loss from the cylinder to the base plate.

The designers built the plastic models of our plants, but I believe the scale valves were bought in from the plastics supplier.  They also made scale formed ends for the pressure vessels, but I think our modellers turned wood shapes to build up representations of my compressors.  My photos are pre digital, so I will have to look some out for you.  Sending you a pm.

Thanks for the drawings of that valve gear.  Not sure I have it totally sorted on the second layer which is used to adjust the cutoff seems to be adjustable while the valve is being moved by the eccentric.

The layer against the cylinder port face will probably move a little so it is held against the port face in normal way, but you may need a spring for the second layer if the steam pressure drop is not enough to hold it in place.  It will be interesting to see how you go.

The rest of the model is going beautifully.  But that valve will be your masterpiece.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #208 on: June 15, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
Good to see you back on form Willy - keep it going  :ThumbsUp:

Not long now for ME day

Tug.
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2019, 02:06:11 AM »
Hi all , thinking about soldering the cylinder block up ... i have been sculpting the components and using small screws to hold the parts together. the exhaust port looks a bit tricky as the part curves around the cylinder and would have been cast with a core inside it ?? so i will have to make this part quite accurately and mill out the channel before it is silver soldered in place. I will need to be very careful to do this as i won't be able to adjust the porting once it is in place !!   Thanks  Tug and i am getting back into doing stuff again ... And MJM, the PCB is quite thick and has a fibre glass backing .. I heated the brass slab up first and used the latent heat to soft solder it to the fluxed PCB with just a small amount of heat to attach itself.  Still not too sure about the Meyer set up yet ...other people have not included it inside the steam chest as it won't be seen !!...

willy
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:44:19 PM by steam guy willy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal