Author Topic: Webster I/C Engine - Mike's 5th Engine  (Read 10660 times)

Offline mikehinz

Re: Webster I/C Engine - Mike's 5th Engine
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2021, 10:15:16 PM »
Very early today was the big event, my first attempt to start the Webster engine that I just completed!!

Prior to attempting to start the engine, there was at least one encouraging sign, that being that the engine would strongly snap back when rotating the flywheel by hand against compression. 

So without further ado, here's the result:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW1sZmSiMn0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW1sZmSiMn0</a>

I used my drill motor and started spinning the engine and briefly choked it with my finger over the carb intake.  I immediately saw fuel start to pickup and flow in the tubing and as soon as I removed my finger, the engine started!!!!! :cartwheel:

I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and quickly took the rather poor quality view that's embedded here. 

It turned out to be not all sunshine and roses as the engine would only run at the rpm in the video.  It would neither idle nor accelerate and frankly it didn run all that good, at least to my ear.  Then after about 2 1/2 minutes it died and couldn't be restarted.  I let the engine cool off and need some troubleshooting and work that I'll document in a post coming up here shortly.

Enjoy!!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2021, 10:54:40 PM »
So after the first run, shortly followed some sort of failure, I let the engine cool and started looking at the issue(s). 

I noticed 2 things right away.  I could see the teflon gasket material budging out of the valve block assembly and I noticed that the engine had no compression when turning it over by hand.  I was hopeful that the two things were related.  So the first thing I did was to take off the valve block and tear it apart.  Here's what I found:

I had used .005 teflon sheet, thinking that I was clever  :'( but that definitely wasn't the case.  Teflon is supposed to withstand high temperatures, but it apparently looses strength and with some pressure applied it just flowed out the joints between the blocks.  Luckily, back when I was getting my Silhouette cutter setup, I cut some additional gaskets out of FelPro paper/fiber material and had a couple of gaskets cut from some 1/64" material.  So I installed those gaskets and reinstalled the valve block on the engine. 

I could immediately feel that the compression had returned when rotating the flywheel by hand, so my hopes were up!  I did in fact, restart the engine after a bit of putzing around and it ran, but as before, only at mid range rpm and it wouldn't idle or go to any higher rpm.  So I shut it down again and started looking at things. 

I found the Traxxas carb settings guide and made sure that the carb was set to the factor settings.  Then I looked at the exhaust valve timing and it looks to be set exactly as specified.  But I then checked the ignition timing and it was set to almost TDC or maybe even very slightly after TDC.  So I reset the ignition timing to about 10 or 12 degrees BTDC which is a bit more advanced than the plans call for, but seems to be a common recommendation for non-advancing type ignition systems on model engines.  I really came to appreciate Roy Scholl's ignition system during this work as the LED timing light was invaluable!

Then I started the engine one more time and noted that it seemed to start a bit easier.  I also noted that I could idle the engine down and accelerate it to higher rpm fairly easily.  I spent a fair bit of time playing with the main jet and ended up leaving at the factory setting.  I did set the idle stop and slightly enriched the idle mixture on the carb and got it run as you'll see in the next 2 videos.

This is the engine running at low rpm.  I had to hold my finger on the throttle to keep it closed as it wanted to vibrate open.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9dPAy3hul4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9dPAy3hul4</a>

And the engine running at high rpm.  The throttle seemed to stay at this position fairly well.  I could actually get it to run a bit faster, but I had to just ease the throttle open just a bit more and it wouldn't stay there. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-EfXOc8AU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09-EfXOc8AU</a>

So, I"m calling this engine a success!! :whoohoo:

I still need to clean it up a bit and get it mounted on the mounting board. 

So, I want to acknowledge and thank some people. 

Mr. Webster for his excellent plans!
Roy Scholl for his excellent ignition system! 
All the previous builders that gave so many great hints in their build logs!
All those watching this build log and offering encouragement!
And a special thanks to Brian Rupnow for his starter hub design and 'Setting Up and Running Guide"!

I hope everyone has enjoyed following along during this build!

After I get the engine properly mounted, I'll take a better video and post it over in 'The Showcase" forum under 'Engines'.

And yet again, thanks to everyone for following along.

Enjoy!

Mike

MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2021, 11:59:14 PM »
Great job Mike. Congratulations on such a fine runner. ---Brian Rupnow

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2021, 12:30:42 AM »
That's great, Mike!  It ran right away and only got better!  You did your troubleshooting very quickly too!  Quite impressive, I'd say.

Well done!  This should make you feel pretty good  :cartwheel:

Congratulations!
Kim

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2021, 01:17:22 AM »
Congratulations! :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2021, 01:38:35 AM »
Nicely done!

Dave

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2021, 03:55:38 AM »
Well done.  I like the low rpm mode.

Chuck

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2021, 11:03:03 AM »
Hi Mike, congratulations on getting the engine running so quickly.  It’s been a great build to follow from the start and nicely done.

Any fine tuning required is so much more encouraging now you know it runs.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
Congratulations

I like the low speed running too.

We can now add your Webster to the list of successful builds of this engine for future builders to consult.

Thnak You for posting,

--ShopShoe

Offline RayW

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2021, 03:17:56 PM »
Excellent job Mike. It runs really smoothly at fast and lower speeds. You must be very happy. Congratulations.
Ray

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »
Nicely done Mike!! I like it running slow. Nice and steady. Thats a keeper.

BC1
Jim

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2021, 12:38:47 AM »
Again, thanks to all that have viewed this build and offered encouragement and congratulations!

I'm going to post a few final high quality pix in 'The Showroom' under Engines here shortly.  I'll have a few still pix and 2 videos of the engine running.

I'm working on what I'll do next and am deep into planning and building the 3D model.

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal