Author Topic: Gardner 3F  (Read 5276 times)

Offline TonyM

Gardner 3F
« on: October 30, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »
Hi everyone. I am starting on the journey to build a 1/4 scale model of a Gardner 3F that I previously owned. It is around the same size as the Alyn Foundry 1/2 scale Gardner O. I am looking to buy castings as made by Alyn foundry for their Gardner O. Anything is acceptable from unfinished kit to single pieces even damaged if repairable. Also looking at alternatives casting or fabricating so any info would be gratefully accepted

Thanks
TonyM
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:24:42 AM by TonyM »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Gardner O
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
Good to see you found your way here, hopefully Graham will be along and let you know what may be at the back of his workshop

Should not be too hard to modify an 0 to look like your 3F

Offline TonyM

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »
Thanks Jason. I have been in touch with Graham. I'm hoping the engine museum might be able to help even if its just drawings.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
Graham told me he gave the Gardner patterns to the Museum... I have been trying to acquire one from him  :disappointed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 12:33:42 PM »
Hello Tony.

I have just spoken with Geoff at the Anson Engine museum. He said that there's a fresh batch of castings waiting to be picked up from his foundry.

I suggest you contact him by email to arrange things directly.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »
Get in there quick before Jo beats you to them :LittleDevil:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »
 :pinkelephant:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scalemodel

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 03:28:31 PM »
I'm so pleased that the gardner has come to light again, this is by far the best model alyn foundry made and with a keen eye a really nice model can be made with the correct oiler etc.

The drawings that came with my engine would be better

Jonathan
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:55:35 PM by Jo »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »
I’ve just had a look at the plans and guidance notes for my Alyn Foundry Gardner 0 Type that I built about 20 years ago when I had little model engineering experience. I had the plans photocopied to keep a clean set and the detail and layout look fine to me, So I don’t know what the failings are supposed to be.
However, I am an amateur, taught myself how to use my machine tools and can work things out for myself.

A big advantage with Alyn Foundry models was and still is the telephone Helpline. Graham is most helpful with advice on building and running Alyn Foundry engines, I doubt whether such support has been available for other model engine casting kits.
Andy
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:13:18 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline TonyM

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
Thanks Guys.
Unfortunately the main base and cylinder aren't close enough to give me the stroke and rod length I need and although some of the smaller items look like a good fit the guys at the museum, quite rightly, only sell complete sets. So it means I am still looking for any bits going begging. 

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:27 PM »
As it seems the bed and cylinder castings from the O type are not going to be usable you are really left with two options - either make patterns and have castings done or Fabricate. Looking at the O plans and the photo of your 3F there is nothing there that could not be fabricated without too much difficulty.

The main bed casting is very "box" like so easy enough to make from plate. Cylinder is just a steel turning with some bits of metal silver soldered on to give the two mounting "feet" and various pads for valves etc.  pattern making would follow similar methods just substituting wood for metal and being a bit easier to stick together and shape.

If you decide to fabricate and need any more suggestions on how to proceed just ask.

J
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:17:52 PM by Jasonb »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 12:55:43 AM »
Lady and gentlemen. While there have been some very supportive comments and help from Graham and others regarding this build, there are also some ( in my opinion) not appropriate on this forum. As such I am locking the thread for a few days until things can settle down. Tony's build deserves the support we are capable of and known for.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:56:47 AM by steamer »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
This thread is now unlocked.

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 03:09:18 PM »
Good lets get back to building engines.     8)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline TonyM

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 03:54:30 PM »
Thanks Jason

Fabrication is most likely the way out. Some of the parts are quite big and I dont have access to oxy/acetelene or TIG. Otherwise the hardest part will be the cylinder.  I also contemplated making a mould and approached a local aluminium casting shop but they weren't too helpful. The base could be machine from a block but holding back on that for now.

I am looking for info and drawings and photos as much as anything. I am getting there but it is painfully slow I have to design the parts purely on a few photos I have and you-tube vids but it's the bits you can't see that are the biggest challenge. Also adapting the internals to enable fabrication.

My memories of the restoration I did some twenty years ago have dimmed somewhat :old:  Some bits are easier to guestimate than others. I have the main outline drawing of the engine just about there and am now drawing up the inlet valve assembly. It took me a while to figure out how to get the internals mapped out as I just couldn't remember how it was done.

I have also spent some time looking at the magneto which was a Bosch flick type. I am trying to squash all the electronics including battery and reed switch (using parts as per Jan Ridders blocker type) into the body so that it works like the real thing from the outside. So far so good. Just got to get the electronics bit to work.

TonyM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal