Author Topic: Dah Lih DL-VHR-GIF mill - a journey of discovery  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Joco

Re: Dah Lih DL-VHR-GIF mill - a journey of discovery
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 09:26:20 PM »
It's been a bit quiet over the holidays while I waited for some more parts to turn up.  So I mucked about a bit and did the following.

[1]  Changed the buttons a litte on the control panel.  I wanted a more overt STOP look to the red button and a different colour between the table power feed and coolant. Here's the result.  Of course I still need to sort out the labeling.  I also got the wiring for the eStop fully sorted out.  So that now it prevents the spindle and table power feed from running when triggerered.

[2] Made a "speed handle" for the mill vice.  Been wanting to do one of these for a while and I had made the hex holed part a while ago, just never gotten my "a" into "g" to finish it until now.  The tappered handle is 6061 ali and it feels really nice to hold.  The rest is all mild steel.

The fit on the vice hex is excellent.  A nice sliding fit, not tight and not sloppy. The handle spins freely but is not sloppy on the retaining "screw".

I might polish up the main parts edges but at the end of the day this is a functional tool that is going to get a bit dinged. So I'm not too fussed about going OTT on the finish.  I did have fun practicing draw filing on the front and back face to get a really nice smooth finish. That was more for learning than anything else.

Anyway, a nice and useful addition to the tools supporting the new mill.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

Re: Dah Lih DL-VHR-GIF mill - a journey of discovery
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 07:54:47 PM »
Here are the drawings for the speed handle for anyone interested.  You will see from the drawings that I did the handle differently (i.e. only tapered for 25mm not the whole length).  This was so I could more easily mount the part in the collet chuck after cutting it from the stock bar.

Note this design is not mine or unique.  There are a number of people on the net who have done similar things and these types of handles are available commercially.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ