Author Topic: Part off Blade Holder  (Read 993 times)

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
Part off Blade Holder
« on: September 23, 2022, 06:55:51 AM »
Well finally a thread that does not qualify for the Oddball category

My lathe came with a part off blade holder however it appeared to be designed for 1/2 inch blades whereas the size I had was 5/8th. Original piece is black thing in the tool holder. Not sure what it is called, perhaps the blade retainer?

Rather than buy the correct blade size, I decided to wait a few years until I had a milling machine  :toilet_claw:

Up until now I had not really used the horizontal mode so this seemed to be a very simple project to cut my teeth on. Or probably chip my teeth on as is the case with this 3/8 x 3 inch horizontal side and face cutter. Unfortunately I don't have a slab miller yet and the shell mill couldn't reach.

I know horizontal mills can remove a lot of material quickly, so on this part I kept increasing the depth of cut for each pass until finally the maximum which was the target finished height. This photo here is the full 5.5mm depth of cut at about 9mm wide. One thing I learned is that these cutters prefer to be loaded up otherwise they make a "grr grr grr" noise. At 5.5mm DOC it did feel like the machine was starting to load up, which could be due to me feeding too fast or the teeth being a bit dull.

The chips looked nice, like metal sprinkles but probably not as nice to eat.

The finished piece in the part off blade retainer(?).

So not particularly exciting but in this case I can say for sure that using the several thousand dollar milling machine I was able to save $19.95 on a new part off blade :Lol:

I would love to hear from anyone else on this forum who has a horizontal mill!
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Part off Blade Holder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 07:43:06 PM »
Fine resulting Tool-Holder  :ThumbsUp:

5.5mm Depth of Cut  :o .... talking about Size matters Ehh ....

Per

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 09:02:25 PM »
Yep, he was taking it easy at 5.5 mm DOC. He usually goes 10 mm..... :o  just joking!  :Lol:

Parting holder looks great! Your experience spending $$$$$$$$$$ to save $$ is similar to mine. I do enjoy making custom tooling though, and if you have the machines, why not? The key thing is the enjoyment I think.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 12:46:25 PM »
Thanks for your replies :)

I was not really sure what would actually be considered impressive.

I think a horizontal mill is supposed to be capable of the full depth of cut possible i.e. the cutter radius minus the arbor radius, however this would probably require more power than what this small mill would be capable of.

I have just finished another part with the mill which I hope will be a bit more exciting :)
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline john mills

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 01:47:37 AM »
how deep cut depends on how rigid the machine is and how well you can hold the part  ,the speed suitable for the cutter diameter
and material.then if you can get more teeth cutting and keep load on . the arbor spacers must be clean so when the arbor is tightened
it remains straight so the cutter runs true.then the teeth all cut evenly ,then it is surprising how much you can cut but often the cutter won't run true and only some of the teeth will cut.
john

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal