Author Topic: SD memory card question...  (Read 1268 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
SD memory card question...
« on: October 22, 2018, 04:26:33 AM »
I had a 512Mb SD card in my camera for, I dunno, a few years and yesterday the camera told me the chip was full.
I transfer pictures to the foozer then trash the pics on the chip. I put the chip in the foozer and it show the chip is empty!

So, I grabbed a new chip and the camera takes it and now everything works.

There is no utility in the camera to manage files, so any of that has to be done on the foozer. I went back and read the manual that came with the camera; no enlightenment. The camera is a Canon Power Shot SD630 if that means anything.

I have always thought of the SD as nothing but a flash memory chip with no resident software, etc. At least I can't find any.

Any ideas why the chip would show full in the camera and empty in the foozer???

Thanks,
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: SD memory card question...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 05:44:37 AM »
Hi Pete,
Camera's don't always use a standard file system - or they use other sneaky methods for maintaining their directory.  The best thing to do would be to reformat that SD Card.

A quick google search came up with this: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART159604&cat=1270B&actp=LIST

That should show you how to format your SD Card.  Then the camera should think its empty.

You just want to be sure you're done with the pictures on the card before you do this, but it sounds like you are :)

Good luck!
Kim

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »
Hi Pete,

I have found that with my Panasonic cameras also.  I think Kim has the explanation, that the cameras use a slightly different file system on the same standard card. 

My two cameras have an option to reformat the card, way down in the settings somewhere, easier to find than remember how you get there.  That has always worked, so I don't even try to delete them outside the camera.  Just down load them, and when I am happy they are all safely stored, back to the camera and reformat.

The camera also lets me delete all but I suspect that leaves something behind, so I suspect reformat is more tidy and reliable.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »
Evening Pete......I am sure that both Kim & MJM are on the correct path

I use a single Panasonic camera, however leave the  control [formating the SD card] to Microsoft PC settings....

Using a $15 'SD card to USB2' size holder also eliminates the need or use of the micro :zap: USB camera cable....

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Twizseven

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 01:14:54 PM »
Based on my experience the recommendations are usually to format the card in the camera not on the PC.  Do it on the PC and you may well have problems writing to the card on the camera.

All the cameras I have used, going back 20 odd years have all had a format option on the camera (somewhere in the Menu structure).

Colin

Offline dieselpilot

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:42:46 PM »
If formatting doesn't do the trick, check that the SD card isn't write protected (the tiny switch on the side marked Lock). I recently had a card fail. Camera says full with no data(another camera wouldn't start), nothing on PC. PC wouldn't even recognize it, even locked it up completely. Memory cards do fail, fortunately they are dirt cheap today.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »
Pete, If your Canon Power shot is like mine it does have a reformatting option in the camera's menu. As others have said I think running that will solve your problem.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:49:16 PM »
OK, mystery solved. There is a delete function but it only shows in the menu when the camera is in the "view pics" mode, not in "take pics" mode..

:facepalm:

Thank you all for your encouragement...

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
Pete,

I feel that I need to emphasize a point here, please do not take offense, none was meant.

You need the "Format" command, not the "Delete" command.

The Format command is found in the set-up menu: the one marked by the tab that has the little wrench and hammer icons: See the link as posted above in this thread.

A card is just a memory chip without formatting. Formatting it installs the format the recording device (camera) needs to keep track of the files (photos). The Delete  command erases files but leaves the format.  What we think happened is that the format was corrupted in some way and needs to be removed and re-installed, which the format command will do.

FYI, I always reformat my cards (and other storage media) after transferring my files to their destinations and backup locations. I'm an oldster at this and that's what I grew up with.

ONLY NERDS need to read on at this point.

To further emphasize the point, this is the same as when we used to build computers and had to format a hard drive before we could install an operating system: Bad problems with a computer could result in a reformat - reinstall OS - reload files situation. (Glad I don't have to do that with an impatient boss looking over my shoulder any more.)

When cards started to be used in digital cameras, some of us used them to "sneaker net" files from computer to computer when we had standalone card readers attached to them. Thumb drives have since provided a better way to do this. We formatted the cards for the purpose.

There were (maybe still are) audio recorders that used cards as well: Sometimes we could get away with using camera cards in the recorders and using the card readers to move photo, (quicktime) video, and (AIFF) audio all from the same card.

--ShopShoe

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
Well, you nailed it. I went back and found my problem. That portion of the Menu, like many, has a list of 'things' and on the right is a place for a 'slider' to scroll thru the menu. BUT the slider doesn't show!! Until I actually start moving down thru the selections. Then the slider shows as well as many more menu selections not visible until then.

That's where the Format function was..... I put the offending chip in, formatted it, and violins!, all is now right with the world.

You would think that a guy could remember stuff like this from one year to another.... I feel like an idiot sometimes.... I've had this camera for years now.

And I clearly remember now all the formatting that had to be done back in the dark ages..... geez, that must have been 30 years ago!!   :old: :old:

:lolb: :lolb:

THANK YOU!!

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 04:22:11 PM »
Glad you got it sorted Pete. Now it's just like a new SD card again :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal