Author Topic: Loctite  (Read 6014 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Loctite
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »
Hi Chris ,i have just used some 638 on my flywheel as the key disappeared in transit ..It is very gloopy and dark green and takes about 1/2 hour to start to set then the longer the better to cure. it takes quite a while to start to set so gives ample time to position.....
 willy
Great - thanks!  The 603 is quite thin, so it needs a tighter joint, and grabs pretty quickly. Nice to know the difference, times when each would be better.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Pthunberg

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 01:04:52 AM »
After thinking about this topic, a bit more I decided to look at it as an engineer would, probably should have started with this. The cured compressive shear strength of Loctite 609 after 24hrs is 2290psi. The crank shaft to crank web joint is in shear because the shaft wants to rotate in the web.

The shaft is .250dia and the web is .125in thick so the total area of the joint is:

3.14*D= circumference                        3.14*.250in= .785in
circumference*depth=area                  .785in*.125in=.0981in^2

The total strain the joint can resist is the area * the compression shear strength of the bonding material:
.0981in*2290psi=224.649In/lbs

Or:
(224.649In/lbs)/12=18.720ft/lbs

Really quite a lot when you think about the size of the parts and the application. Tin based soft solder has about the same shear strength. Of course, this is the ideal condition, assuming a good fit and clean parts. Loctite 680 has an even higher shear strength at 3500psi after 24hrs. Loctite 638 has a final cure shear strength of 4200psi on steel after 7days. Despite what the engineering says I still put my trust in experience, again, thank you for your help.  :praise2:  Amazingly strong sticky stuff.   ;D 

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 01:20:08 AM »
Unfortunately Henkel [the German owned producer of the Loctite products] has inherited and maintained the crazy scenario of having different Loctite codes for the same Product as marketed in different Countries

This together with a product range  :lolb: that far exceeds the needs of a model engineers $ budget

I have long stopped using their Aerosol Primer T and have substituted a refillable plastic pump bottle of Isoprop Alcohol.....

So for structural joints I use Loctite Grade 680, and for for demountable [with hand tools].....the Grade of 243  which listed as a Thread Locker

Derek

PS...I did a similar back check after reading your post however based this on pin diameter and web thickness of 0.1875" and this resulted on 165.5"/pounds shear...I too am am not yet converted to being a believer of Loctite for small diameter work, so fully agree with the backup of the pins...although Size 7/0 Taper pins would have been my first choice
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:31:20 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
Hard to describe the viscosity of something in print. It is thicker than the red Loctite I have seen. About like corn syrup on a warm day. It flows well, sets up fast but really needs 24 hours before it reaches full strength.---Brian

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 02:06:37 AM »
If you use primer n anaerobic lockers will set up a whole lot faster and stronger. Plus it you use loctite on bushings, pins and other thing normally pressed it you will get a stronger than press fit with a nice slip fit with loctite and primer n. The shear strength is stronger than what a press fit is.

toolznthings

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 01:44:07 PM »
If you use primer n anaerobic lockers will set up a whole lot faster and stronger. Plus it you use loctite on bushings, pins and other thing normally pressed it you will get a stronger than press fit with a nice slip fit with loctite and primer n. The shear strength is stronger than what a press fit is.

Correct.  :ThumbsUp:   I always use Loctite primer, especially on none reactive materials such as aluminum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal