Help! > Hints, Tips & Tricks

Loctite

(1/5) > >>

Pthunberg:
I have searched the forums and found some information on loctite, but I am left wondering how suitable it is for bonding a built up crank shaft for a small 1/2in bore twin steam engine I am building. Loctite 609 has a shear strength of 2300psi, while tin solder has between 2000 and 4000psi. Not sure if I should solder it or use the loctite. It would be much easier to just glue it together. What do you think?

crueby:
I have used loctite for steam engine cranks that size with great results. Sometimes also through pin the joints but not always.

Thor:
 I recently made a built up crankshaft for a two cylinder steam engine and used an anaerobic glue. I did pin the joints after the glue had cured, no problems so far.

Thor

b.lindsey:
Use the Loctite to get the parts properly located and fixed. Then pin the joints for extra insurance...you won't have to worry about it after that!

Bill

toolznthings:

--- Quote from: b.lindsey on October 21, 2018, 01:23:06 PM ---Use the Loctite to get the parts properly located and fixed. Then pin the joints for extra insurance...you won't have to worry about it after that!

Bill

--- End quote ---
I agree on the pinning after the Loctite. Learned the hard way on one crank shaft, but would use the Loctite again, for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version