Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 52924 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #795 on: October 04, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »
Hey Dave,
Yeah, I've wondered that too.  It was labeled that way when I got it from Grizzly.  Maybe its clearly labeled so they didn't send out the Old one anymore?  I dunno, but it does make one curious!  :naughty:

Thanks Dave,
Kim

Offline gary.a.ayres

• British Isles & sometimes France
« Reply #796 on: October 15, 2020, 11:20:43 PM »
Wonderful fabrication work on that tank. Must have taken great skill and concentration to get everything to line up!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #797 on: October 16, 2020, 06:18:35 AM »
Wonderful fabrication work on that tank. Must have taken great skill and concentration to get everything to line up!

Thanks Gary!
Skill? I'm not so sure, but what I lack in skill I make up for in persistence.  Just look at my reject bin!  :ROFL:

Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #798 on: October 16, 2020, 10:12:05 PM »
This is a late update from last weekend.  I made some progress on the side frames.

While I still had the parts dialed in on the mill, I used a 1/8Ē mill to cut the straight sides of the internal opening toward the front of the piece.  This opening will be used by the steam-Tee for the cylinders eventually.

After that I cut the big chunks out of the frames using the band saw. Hereís where I expected things to go all banannas.

But my stress relieving exercise must have really paid off because I didnít get any warping as Iíd expected. Either that, or I just got lucky - Iím going with the former! :)

Next I wanted to finish up the steam-Tee opening.  The front part is cut at 45o.  So I centered up the RT using a co-axial indicator Ė this was fun!  You can count the number of times Iíve used that on one hand and still have fingers left over 😊

Then I clamped the sides on the RT with the point of the 45o centered on the RT.  After getting it dialed in to completely horizontal, I used the RT to go up and down by 45o and cut between my holes.  This worked really well!

And hereís the results of my morningís work:

Doesnít seem like much, but that chewed up my whole shop time for last weekend.  Hoping I can finish up the side frames this weekend.  Weíll see!

Kim

Offline Don1966

• Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
« Reply #799 on: October 17, 2020, 09:42:00 PM »
Ahhhhhh! A man and his tools....... just looking in Kim good to see some nice work happening..... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #800 on: October 18, 2020, 12:12:19 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #801 on: October 18, 2020, 06:19:43 AM »
Thank you Don and Cnr,