Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 343487 times)

Online cnr6400

Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #540 on: January 05, 2020, 04:28:20 PM »
Looking great Kim!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #541 on: January 05, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
I love the embossed effect :ThumbsUp:          bet you are glad they are not real rivets :hellno:        Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #542 on: January 05, 2020, 05:08:10 PM »
Terrific!

For milling thin stock like that, clamping it down with a block of wood or between two blocks keeps it from bending up - though it can make it harder to see where you are on the cut.
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 05:35:16 PM by crueby »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #543 on: January 06, 2020, 01:14:57 AM »
Thanks CNR!

Yes, Terry, I thought about that too!  glad these are all just fake embossed rivets.  It would take forever to do all those rivets - and they are so small!

Thanks Chris. I'll have to keep that one in mind for working with thin stock like this :)

Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #544 on: January 06, 2020, 01:18:54 AM »
You have a supreme amount of patience. It will pay off - the finished article is going to look amazing. Very impressive.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #545 on: January 06, 2020, 01:43:34 AM »
Thanks Stuart!
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #546 on: January 12, 2020, 12:42:01 AM »
Chapter 5.9– Rear Corner Member

The Rear Corner Member connects the end of the top plate to the base.  It’s made from a piece of 5/16” square brass.  Kozo’s drawings are very good, and there are very few mistakes I’ve found on them.  But this happens to be one – the text says you should use 5/16” square stock, but the drawings indicate 1/4" square.  The drawing for the part is wrong.  It really should be 5/16” as the text says.  The 5/16" measurement works out correctly with all the rest of the dimensions, like hole placement and such, so I'm certain that's the correct one.  I just wanted to point this out in case it helps anyone in the future.  Kozo's drawings are astoundingly good, so don't let this change your opinion!

I cut the 5/16” bar to length and took notches out of each side, like so:

Then drilled and tapped 3-48 to attach the corner member to the base.

Here it is in place:

Next, I selected the spots for all the #0 screws to attach the top plate and drilled a clearance hole through the embossed rivet at each location.

Then began the tedious process of marking each hole, drilling it out and tapping.

To mark this connection between the front plate and top plate, I needed to block up some support.  I couldn’t mark it because it moved too much otherwise!

I marked the holes a few at a time, drilled them:

And tapped them.

And here’s a few beauty shots showing the nearly enclosed tank:

The next step will be a bunch of soldering to more permanently fasten all the pieces of the tank together.

Thanks for stopping by my shop on this rainy Saturday afternoon.  Hope you enjoyed your stay!
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #547 on: January 12, 2020, 03:19:49 AM »
I did enjoy my stay, Kim. It's been fun watching this project come together.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #548 on: January 12, 2020, 03:26:23 AM »
Very  much enjoying the ride.

Nice set of pics!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #549 on: January 12, 2020, 05:38:14 AM »
Thanks Jim and Zee!  Glad you enjoyed it!
Kim

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #550 on: January 12, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Looks great Kim! I really enjoy seeing your fabrications come together.

John

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #551 on: January 12, 2020, 06:39:36 PM »
Thanks John!
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2020, 12:58:48 AM »
Chapter 5.10 – Soft Soldering and Filing the Bottom

My goal today yesterday was to finish up the tank assembly.  I need to soft solder together all the parts so that it is one water-tight unit.

I decided to take it in smaller pieces, if I can, rather than just try and solder the whole thing together.  Seems like it will be REALY hard to get back in some of the corners as a whole unit.  It will also be easier to give each section the attention that it deserves if I do it in smaller chunks.  (This is my theory anyway)

So, I start by soldering the corner members to the front plates.  Here it is all set up for soldering.

Now, doing it one section at a time caused this problem though – I have to maintain the little openings for other plates to slide into.  The soft solder effectively filled the 0.040” gap at the edge of the corner members.  So I used a razor saw to clear out those openings.

This is an attempt to show you one of the slots I’m talking about, after opening it up.

Here are all three corner members solder to their respective parts – the left and right front plates and the rear of the top plate.

Now comes my latest setback.  I was attempting to clean up the solder joint area on some of the Horseshoe Member pieces using a fine Scotch-Brite wheel and ‘thought’ I was being careful.  But this thing is a rather gangly piece with things sticking out all over the place. And, well, I must have touched it to the wrong side of the wheel and the part shot out of my hand, bounced around a few times and hit the floor.  None too gently I might add.  Needless to say, all my carefully shaped curves and angles were all a skew :(

And what’s worse, is that it cracked partway through at one place where there’s a hole close to a corner (too close – that wasn’t very good planning on my part).

After scolded myself for using the stupid Scotch-Brite wheel when I KNEW I shouldn’t, I started on the recovery plan.  (I KNEW I shouldn’t have used that wheel for this very reason but it’s so easy, and I was being careful… but not careful enough – have I ever been able to be ‘careful enough’ that I don’t lose a piece while using that wheel?  Not very often! So, I deserved the scolding! - Don’t you hate it when your right, but you don’t listen to yourself?)

Anyway,  my recovery plan was to anneal the part again and carefully re-form it back into its intended shape.  If I could be careful enough not to break it completely, it should be plenty good once it is all soldered into place.

So, the next many hours were spent re-forming and re-fitting that piece into the rest of the assembly. And of course, to make sure it all fit properly, I had to re-assemble everything I’d taken apart.  But in the end, I got there.

After that fiasco, I think I’m now ready to get back to the soldering.  But first, I have to take it all back apart again so I can clean the areas to be soldered.

This was about all I could handle for one day.  It will take more time than I had (more patience than I had right then, to be honest) to flux up and solder it all together.  This will be a multi-hour process.  Maybe tomorrow?  I’ve got Monday off for MKLJ day:)

We’ll see how it goes then.
Kim
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:39:13 AM by Kim »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2020, 01:21:25 AM »
Ouch Kim!

I have been there more times than I like to think about. Amazing how fast that wheel can take your part, slam it against the floor, bounce it off the ceiling and send it to the corner in a wadded up heap. >:(

Nice recovery, hopefully the rest goes with out any problems.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #554 on: January 20, 2020, 05:13:54 AM »
Thanks for the commiseration Chris.
I'm not feeling quite as frustrated about it now.  But yesterday, I wasn't a very happy camper!  :Mad:
Yet again, re-learning a lesson I already knew...  :facepalm:
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal