Author Topic: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)  (Read 342517 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Pennsylvania A3 Switcher (Kozo)
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Fantastic result Kim - the springs and trucks looks amassing  :praise2:

If I had walked and started commenting on the result I would have say that the boogies looks great, but you call them trucks - is this a country specific name ? :noidea:

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »
Looking great, Kim!  You're giving me a flashback to the late 60's... "Keep on Truckin' Brother...."

Cheers, Joe

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
Very very nice Kim!! I can definitely see where the assembly could get a bit confusing too  :headscratch:

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »
Hi Gary, Thomas, Admiral, Joe, and Bill,
Thanks for stopping by to have a look!  I'm pretty pumped about it for sure :)
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »

If I had walked and started commenting on the result I would have say that the boogies looks great, but you call them trucks - is this a country specific name ? :noidea:

Interesting observation.  Yeah, I've heard of bogies before.  I was into Lego trains for many years (I am an Adult Fan of Lego (AFOL, if you will)) and since Lego is based out of Europe, the parts to make the truck were always called bogies.  I never understood it, but used the term.  I had to look this up. And of course, Wiki has the answer:

"A bogie in the UK, or a railroad truck, wheel truck, or simply truck in North America, is a structure underneath a railway vehicle (wagon, coach or locomotive) to which axles (and, hence, wheels) are attached through bearings. In Indian English, bogie may also refer to an entire railway carriage.[4] In South Africa, the term bogie is often alternatively used to refer to a freight or goods wagon (shortened from bogie wagon)."

So, yes, you're right.  It's one of those differences caused by the Atlantic ocean apparently - bogie vs truck.

I learn something every day on this forum!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2019, 06:30:09 PM »

Interesting observation.  Yeah, I've heard of bogies before.  I was into Lego trains for many years (I am an Adult Fan of Lego (AFOL, if you will)) and since Lego is based out of Europe, the parts to make the truck were always called bogies.  I never understood it, but used the term.  I had to look this up. And of course, Wiki has the answer:

"A bogie in the UK, or a railroad truck, wheel truck, or simply truck in North America, is a structure underneath a railway vehicle (wagon, coach or locomotive) to which axles (and, hence, wheels) are attached through bearings. In Indian English, bogie may also refer to an entire railway carriage.[4] In South Africa, the term bogie is often alternatively used to refer to a freight or goods wagon (shortened from bogie wagon)."

So, yes, you're right.  It's one of those differences caused by the Atlantic ocean apparently - bogie vs truck.

I learn something every day on this forum!
Kim
I was wondering about that too, figured it was one of those regional or time things. Though it does get more complicated if you need to transport a wheel assembly to the shop across town - do you put the bogie on the truck (flatbed, that is), or the truck on the truck, or the truck on the lorry....  :insane:

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2019, 09:25:22 PM »
Bogies and trucks, points and switches, sleepers and ties, a different language is used in the US, the rest of us have to be bilingual!

But strangely they use the UK version in Georgia, but then you have to understand the rest of their lingo.

You sometimes have strange experiences on a multinational project.  Can catch you out sometimes, just when you think you know what’s going on.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline kvom

« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2019, 10:05:04 PM »
As compared to a bogey, which is completely different. 

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2019, 11:29:29 PM »
Nice family shot Kim.
They look great!

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2019, 11:59:50 PM »
Thanks Dave, Kvom, and MJM,
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2019, 01:36:16 AM »
Last week I painted the tender trucks.  I took them all apart and spray painted them with a flat black paint.  I’m using Rust-oleum High Temp. I figure this is what I’ll need for the boiler and firebox, so just decided to use it for everything that’s black (which is almost everything!).

Here’s the family shot, after I took the tape off of everything.

And here we are after assembly. There are already bumps and marks that I’m going to have to touch up!

That does it for the trucks!
Kim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2019, 01:41:37 AM »
Today, I started on the Tender Frame.  The first part will be the frame sides. Which Kozo calls the Side Sills. 

Chapter 4.1 – Side Sills
There are two of these, a left and a right.  They are pretty much the same.

I cut two lengths of 5/16” x 5/8” 1018 bar stock, 15 3/16” long.  The part is 15 1/8 but I left a bit to clean up the ends.  Since these pieces are staying mostly intact, I didn’t bother to stress relieve them.  Though I did use my vice and some brute force to get them as straight as possible!

But before I did a lot of work on these long pieces, I decided it was worth investing some time to tram the mill.  I also squared up the vise.

With that taken care of, I clamped the pair of bars in the vise and cleaned up one end.

With one edge clearly defined, I used that as my reference to drill the holes in the side that will hold the bolsters. These are identical holes through both left and right sides. Then I made a 82o counter sink in each hole:

Before taking the side sills out of the vice, I placed #3 screws in each hole and bolted it up to keep the pieces perfectly aligned.

Then I was able to release the vise and moved the part to where I could reach the other end of it to clean them both up to exactly 15 1/8”.

Following that, I flipped it over and made counter sinks on the outside of the other sill. Guess I didn’t have to keep the two sides lined up for this operation, but I did anyway.  I also marked them so I’d know which way was ‘top’ on both sides.

And here are the mostly completed side sills.

I still need to drill and tap holes in each end, but I’m going to wait on those till I can use the holes in the front and rear sills as guides to make sure they line up well.  But that will be for next time!

Thanks for taking a look,
Kim

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2019, 06:26:05 AM »
Hi Kim, nice family shot. They are looking good these trucks.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2019, 01:36:38 PM »
Sills look great Kim.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:Re your lineup marks - maybe not strictly required in this case, but I think it's a good habit to get into to "think precision" in all ops. The easy ones are still easy but the tough ones are less tough, with this approach.

Standing by with  :popcorn:!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2019, 02:10:00 PM »
Still making some nice progress Kim. The finished trucks look great!!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal