Author Topic: 3D Printed GWR Pannier Tank  (Read 585 times)

Offline mikemill

3D Printed GWR Pannier Tank
« on: April 04, 2024, 05:33:26 PM »
Here is a prototype 3D resin printed G3 Pannier Tank, we printed as much as practically possible. Fine detail cannot be represented on the outside as resin is very brittle and would break of when handled, hence the detail in brass.

The engine needs a few tweaks and will come to life when painted.

Mike

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: 3D Printed GWR Pannier Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 05:55:10 PM »
Very nice! The bodywork looks flawless. Did you get any distortion? I now think that when I have distortion in some of the parts I print it's because I orientate the part to the buildplate myself rather than accept the slicers settings. How do you orientate the parts you have printed?
Lee

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 06:23:51 PM »
Wow! That is pretty sharp looking!  The engine body looks pretty good sized.  Were you able to print it all in one go?  Or is it split somewhere?

Kim

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 08:01:21 PM »
Very nice.

Great flat surfaces, ( which for those who don't know, are hard to do in resin without careful supporting.).

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 08:16:14 PM »
That looks very good! The brass and the resin go well together.

:cheers:
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 03:59:35 AM »
Very nice. What's the scale?
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline mikemill

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 11:49:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments, I don’t have a printer a colleague converts my drawings into 3D and prints the parts. He does not like to reveal the way he prints without supports. The walls of the large parts are 2mm thick to help with distortion, the cab and the tank section are to separate parts.
The advantage of this process is if you can draw it will reproduce, thus very fine detail can be archived just like injection moulding without the cost of making the tooling.

Mike

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 07:39:38 PM »
Certainly looks like a Resin 3D Printer result  :ThumbsUp:

I have seen a few very interesting YT Videos on how to make sure plan the part to be printed without any supports (not always doable - but) and I learned quite a number of interesting things.
Funny how some are obvious after you are in the know ....
One of the guys is something about 3D Print for Production.

That said I have no experience with Resin 3D prints other than have seen some done @ Work - here it only use for precision work and Never for Strenght (STL) ...

Nice looking Loco  :praise2:  and if you haven't fessed up I wouldn't have spoted the clueline between the halves.

Per  :cheers:

Offline tzkelley

• Issaquah, Washington USA
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 06:08:05 AM »
Oh wow! Huge milestone! Can't wait to see it with the cab!  :popcorn:

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 09:51:24 AM »
That looks amazing!

I've been doing a bunch of model railway 3d-printing myself of late - nothing to that level of complexity, but it's made me very aware of just how much effort goes into the CAD model, and that's before you get into the mechanics of printing itself...

What scale is that? I'm guessing HO/OO, but if it's N scale, then that's even more incredible.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline mikemill

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 04:10:23 PM »
The model is Gauge3 which is 1:22.6 to ft and is 14 ins long

Mike   

Offline mikemill

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 03:50:28 PM »
The Pannier tank is complete, the problem with 3Dprinted parts that would be bare metal is finding the right paint. I found some brass paint online while it's not perfect it blends in well with the real thing.

Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 04:34:05 PM »
They make a number of versions of gold-leaf type paint, in silver, gold, brass, etc. They have a little bit of metalic pigment in them so they get the shine/sparkle like real metal, and they go on thin. Not real precious metals, so the paints are reasonably cheap. I found them at the local crafts store.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 04:38:43 PM »
Wow! The paint looks magnificent to me!  It makes for a very beautiful model.  Nicely done!

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal