Author Topic: Over Center manual cone clutch  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Over Center manual cone clutch
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:56:20 PM »
I seem to have clutches on the brain this last couple of months. This design incorporates a cone seating into a cone shaped recess to transmit torque from the left hand shaft to the right hand shaft. There is a very powerful coil spring that holds the clutch in the engaged position. When the handle is swung to the left it allows the powerful spring to seat the cone firmly into the cup and transmit torque. When the handle is swung to the right it separates the cone and cup and compresses the spring. The fact that the spring will be compressed by this action will make the linkage lock into an "over center" condition and stay there until it is changed by someone manually swinging the red handle.

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
Re: Over Center manual cone clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
Another one for your list. Magnetic particle clutch. There is no friction material. The powder "hardens" with a magnetic field and this transmits torque between 2 smooth metal surfaces. I used to see these on small paper machines to keep tension.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_particle_clutch

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 06:50:31 PM »
Noitoen--I am aware of electromagnetic clutches and iron particle clutches and hydraulic clutches. I really am only interested in purely mechanical clutches.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 07:24:13 PM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:43:27 PM »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
The design is easy.--The finessing not quite so much. I lay in bed last night thinking of how these parts would fit together, and realized that if that center hoop was built as a single part I would never be able to fit it into place around the carrier that holds the oak friction disc.--So--we make the carrier a two piece so it can be assembled.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 01:56:20 AM »
I didn't have a lot of time today for this project, but it has moved ahead a little bit. Collars have been added to the shafts to keep them from moving axially, and the right hand outer housing had to get 1/4" longer, as I was running out of room.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 06:20:14 PM »
I managed a little shop time this morning. Machined the steel carrier for the oak cone and the shaft it rides on.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
I made the shaft and cup that the cone fits into. To save myself a ton of machining I made it from two pieces, then Loctited and pressed the two pieces together. Tomorrow when the Loctite is well set up I will drill a 1/16" hole thru both and Loctite in a piece of 1/16" drill rod. I will machine the cone into the face of that solid piece tomorrow.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 03:53:58 AM »
The serious:

Some great work on these clutches, I am learning a lot!
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The not very serious:

To (badly) paraphrase the movie CrockaSteamDial Dundee:  Thats not a clutch,  This is a clutch!Steam actuated through the axle!

:cheers:

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 08:43:50 AM »
The give-away is King & Barnhart at the top of the patent! Weren't they the Marion designers?
Jerry
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »
The give-away is King & Barnhart at the top of the patent! Weren't they the Marion designers?
Jerry
Yes, brilliant inventors.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 11:11:07 PM »
Not a real lot done today. The two external shaft collars and the two bearing spacers. The two bearing spacers got a lot fatter, because if I left them as thin wall, sooner or later I would want to pull a shaft out of the assembly, and when you do that the spacer falls down between the two bearings and it's a devil of a job getting them lined up again to get the shaft back in. The tunnel they fit into is 0.906" diameter, the outside diameter of the spacer is 0.875" diameter. I spent this morning going with youngest grandson Jake (3 year old) and his mom and goodwife out to a local farm that sells pumpkins. Of course you have to pay the $12 per person to get in, which entitles you to a wagon ride out to the pumpkin patch and one pumpkin. Lots of plastic ghosts and skeletons and scary witches along the trail the wagon takes to get out to the patch. Jake was very pleased with the entire event but wife and I damned near froze to death!!! I had to come home and have a snooze to recover, then headed down to the shop to make at least a couple of parts.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 09:44:52 PM »
No great strides made on this project today, but my bearings came in from Canadian Bearings. I have spent the entire day running around like  a chicken with no head, trying to source replacement gears for my three ball governor. Someone purchased the plans but the gears I have in the plans call for an 8 tooth pinion, and nobody makes a bevel gear in that size anymore.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »
Things have been a little crazy around here for a few days, however progress is being made. The center bearing carrier is made and the two small bearings have been Loctited onto the stub shafts, which are silver soldered to the outer frame. The outer frame is two piece, and the tapped holes for the bolts which hold the two pieces together are tapped thru the stub shafts after brazing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal