Author Topic: Banggood collets - bargain or waste of money ?  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Banggood collets - bargain or waste of money ?
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:41:51 PM »
I'm looking at treating myself to a lathe collet chuck and a set of ER32 collets shortly, having looked at the usual major UK suppliers I was expecting to pay about £80 - £100 for the collets set but have just noticed Banggood sell full sets for £30.

My gut feeling is they must be rubbish but I thought I'd ask if any other members have used them?  I'm wanting something that will last and have accuracy so I'm guessing Banggood is Bangrubbish  :headscratch:

Any thoughts ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Grade-Carbon-Steel-Precision-Spring-Collet-Set-ER11-ER16-ER20-ER25-ER32-New/272674754917?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3Db67841adf48b4fdebfaf01ed440a4a8a%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D272674754917&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Banggood collets - bargain or waste of money ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »
Those are dearer than I brought my set of imperial ER32 collets for on Fleabay :o. They will not be properly hardened Peter but if you have decided to go for ER collets they are acceptable.

Just remember you can't hold short parts in ER32 and trying to hold square or hex can damage the springing  :-\

jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:59:41 PM »
Thanks, to be honest I hadn't really considered any other design than ER, I have ER25s for my mill so I kinda naturally leaned toward the same system for my lathe. I'm not really sure about the pros and cons of different systems.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
It's a bit pot luck with Bangood, they are just a market place for several suppliers so you may get good ones that came via the back door, money laundering or tax dodges or you may get poor ones that have been rejected and  being sold off cheaply or anything in between.

Maybe get the commonly used sizes from a known source and the odd ones that don't get used much from a cheaper supplier

If you have got a friend with a 3D printer I have seen a few square and hex printed ER collets that work well enough.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 11:16:46 PM »
It would appear that the general impression of this vendors quality is at best,  Dubious.

You might want to consider placing your purchase somewhere else?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
I've bought some ER32 and Er20 collets and holders from ebay Hong Cong Peter at about the same price and I'm happy with the quality they may not be top notch but more than good enough for a home work shop.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »
I have a set of ER11 collets from Banggood that I use often all the time for machining small rods, I'm quite happy with their quality...

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 08:37:35 AM »
Ok.. Bangood is a market place not a single trader - think of it a bit like buying from Fleabay in the UK. In general there are a lot of different companies and individuals who trade there, some have excellent reputations.

Items offered for sale on Bangood are not required to meet EU or USA standards or Laws = it is your responsibility to comply with those. I suspect many of the items offered from Far Eastern countries on Fleabay may not comply with these laws either  :ShakeHead:  Ketan explained once that in China when a batch of items are ordered they are sent out to many factories to do simultaneously the result is that for a bulk order the quality of the items can vary depending on which factory made that specific item (Ketan is fussy which factories make his stuff).

The one thing I cannot fault the Chinese for is their standard of service: If an item does not turn up they immediately apologise and offer to replace or refund. If it is not fit for purpose they will refund. You pay your money you make your choice.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
Do you need a set of collets?  I have had a set of ER 25 for years and there are a number of them that have never been used.  The most often used are the 6mm and 12mm sizes which match my most often used cutting tools and the 10mm which holds my edge finder.  With the benefit of experience I would now probably buy single better quality items as I found the need for them.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 10:57:55 AM »
As Pete wants it for the lathe then it is going to get used more for work holding than tool holding so a bit of a wider spread would tend to get used, though a few odd balls don't get used much.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Thanks everyone,

It kinda sounds like a bit of a gamble but could save me £70. I didn't realise Bangood supply from different sources otherwise I'd have been tempted to buy a couple to assess the quality first.

I did consider buying as I need them but as Jason says they are for work holding in my lathe so I'll probably need a wide spread of sizes and it is more convenient (and cheaper) to buy the full set.

One of the main attractions in the collet system from my point of view is with a pair of Stevenson blocks I can transfer between the lathe and mill without the need for repeatedly setting work squarely.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 05:24:13 PM »
A couple of years back I took a big chance and ordered these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ER25-ER32-ER40/1724275_501659070.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.713350a1v7mlbu

An ER-32 chuck with a MT2 shank  and a set of collets. Also an ER-16 with a 1/2" straight shank and a set of collets.
I must say that these units are beautifully made and extremely accurate. The chucks and the half dozen collets I checked had run-outs less than my 10ths indicator could measure. Needle hardly moved.

I'm a happy camper!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 07:24:22 AM »
Hi,
You might like to check this guy out..

http://www.ctctools.biz

He may not be as cheep but being based in Hong Kong it’s likely that he buys from the guys in China. I brought a set of ER 32 collets & a ER 32 to MT 3 , & ER32 to R8 chuck, haven’t done run out checks on them but so far have been fine & having a Stevenson blocks set makes the interchangeability great!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 08:38:01 PM »
Many thanks or the advice guys and gals, I'm wanting to make a small pump shortly and I think collets will help with the accuracy.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal