Author Topic: Hello from Durham.  (Read 1332 times)

Offline noggin

Hello from Durham.
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

Whilst browsing the infectious YouTube I have ended up finding my way to this site.

I have decided to spend my last bit of redundancy money from a couple of years ago on building up a very small workshop which is currently in a state of flux as I build up my tools and lack of time due to work.

I am not new to machining and making things as I have been a maintenance engineer for 30+ years but I am a complete novice as far as model and engine making is concerned and I am looking forward to honing old skills and pick up lots of new skills, the quality of some builds on this site is something I can only dream of but I have to start somewhere.

No project planned yet as it will take a while to work my way through the information that has already been posted.

Regards
Phil

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Hello from Durham.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum Phil your at the right place to learn and plenty of help!   :hi:

Don

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »
Hello Phil and welcome to the MEM forum.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:18:44 AM »
Hi and welcome Phil. If you peruse everything here there may be no end to it. I might suggest finding a type of engine that interests you, look at builds of those and go from there. There is a lot to see here I know. We are all open to any questions you may have also. Glad to have you with us.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »
Hi there Phil, welcome!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 02:56:54 PM »
hi Phil , good to have you on board and it would be good to have a scheme whereby all new members get a free simple engine casting set !! However i am sure that you will find some plans somewhere to make a bar stock engine !!

Willy.

Offline noggin

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

I have downloaded a few drawings and see some drawings are available to buy, too many choices at the moment.

Thinking of starting with the Little Demon as drawings are available, although I am quite good at bespoke design and manufacture at work designing an engine from scratch is way beyond my capabilities.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal