Author Topic: Model shows - the end of?  (Read 5351 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Model shows - the end of?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 02:49:31 AM »
Here in Norridge there is a science week happening next week and the Norridge society will have a stand at the library showing off lots of our engines to the public ... this is half term week so there should be lots of future young Model Engineers there ...I usually make one stationary engine a year so there is at least one new engine on display at Forncett. This years show was a bit different from the usual show with some antique engines and more new work  on existing builds.....We will be there on the 23rd October btw

Willy.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:52:43 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2018, 07:28:01 AM »

Bill, Jo, Dave and any other Admin, what are your views on creating a new Forthcoming Events category, to help our members to enjoy and get the most out of this wonderful hobby obsession of ours.
You could make it happen.

Mike

I'm going to sound negative again buy that's the way it is.

Just because there is a section on a forum to post things does not mean things will happen. For example ME forum has an "Events" section where you can submit details of an event last entry was 2017. There is also the forum topic much like "shows" on here and that only gets a few entries well in advance as most are pic, reports or "who's going". Events page in the mag is too close to actual date to suit people wanting to enter and not kept upto date on the site.

Now when you think that ME covers far more than our small "Engine" interest such as Locos then that is not a lot of use being made by far mor emembers to list forthcoming events well in advance so entries can be  made.

J

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2018, 01:17:44 PM »
Jason, Why not give this a try:

"You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between."

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »
Like this JB - I like going to shows because:

I get to see other model makers with similar interests, more often than not we arrange to meet up for a chat before going to the show. We chat about building our model engines and what we might build next ;D
I get to admire other people's engines and it inspires me to do better with my own builds.
I don't wait for the day and look at the weather and then decide if I want to go to the show :ShakeHead: I have arranged to go early and am looking forward to going to the show for weeks ahead  :)
I can have a bacon buttie for breakfast for a treat at the show and not feel guilty :-X
Over the years the traders have become old friends and they know me too well as they always seem to have something to tempt me with  :facepalm:
And I always discover that there was something that I had not realised I needed until I saw it at the show  :noidea:

I always come home looking forward to the next show  :cartwheel:.... I wish there were more shows to go to, with more model engines to see   :-\

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2018, 02:39:44 PM »
I must just say, particularly as no one else has happened to comment, how much I enjoyed reading George's  ( Gbritnell's ) very interesting longer account of his lifetime involvement in model making and technical activities, and the changes that George has seen in attitudes and involvement that affect our model engineering hobby.  Thanks George.
      Incidentally, I found myself a lot luckier in the ratio of my colleagues in engineering work who had a model engineering interest, over 30 plus years I worked with at least half a dozen very keen and highly capable model engineers, a great stimulus, and those still around are valued friends still.     Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
Like this JB - I like going to shows because:

I don't wait for the day and look at the weather and then decide if I want to go to the show :ShakeHead: I have arranged to go early and am looking forward to going to the show for weeks ahead  :)

Well why would I go on a day when it is pissing down when I could go the day before or after when the sun may be out, don't know about you but I much prefer looking at the traction engine models that are running outside when it is dry rather them all being covered up and not in steam due to the rain, probably does not affect things if you are just going to eat sticky watsits.

I suppose having a job where you can book a days paid holiday is nice or being retired but as I'm self employed I don't know months in advance what I will be doing unlike you and that is why I leave it to the last moment to decide to visit, would be even more of a commitment in advance if I were showing. As all my work is by recommendation or repeat clients I'd rather keep them sweet than take a day off and leave them with a bathroom or kitchen tat can't be used.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »
That's the attitude my ex had JB as a result he never did anything  :ShakeHead:

You can always buy a ticket early to help keep the show going for the rest of us and having it might even encourage you to go. The Sticky Wotsits are for sharing between friends when we sit down for our chin wag and to admire our purchases or to give to the traders as I wander round :) 

Think positively one day you too will be retired and will have lots of time to do what you want.

Jo
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:14:09 PM by Jo »

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 06:03:17 PM »
I haven't chimed in yet because didn't have much to contribute to the topic. But upon reflection: I would happily attend shows if there were any nearby. There are none. I do attend local club meets, both ME and ship model related as both are of interest.

But 'real' shows I  have to travel to Detroit or Philadelphia area which becomes a commitment in money for hotel etc. (time is not the problem). I don't really care if the weather sucks or not (prefer not to have snow of course), I am going for the contents not the journey. I attended NAMES in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed meeting some of the online folks in person as well as being surrounded by the hobby. My wife enjoyed the show as well, it made her appreciate what it is I am up to in the basement :-) I plan to attend Cabin Fever in 2019 and possibly NAMES as well.

In the interim I either make my own tools or order sight unseen online. I much prefer dealing with humans in person and seeing what it is that I am spending my money on, this only happens at those shows. At least in the UK you have more choices including rail travel to get to and from. So attend those shows and support the vendors, once they are gone they are gone.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
.........................So attend those shows and support the vendors, once they are gone they are gone.

Gerrit

One of he underlying factors with the UK shows is the sad fact that it is the vendors who are no longer attending or supporting the shows. The visitors still attend but their ticket sales alone are not enough for financial viability. Many traders have said to me that shows are no longer cost expensive and they can make more sales (money) by manning the office phone for a day, responding to mail orders and e-bay sales.

Without the trades, visitor numbers drop and the show is lost forever. How long will it be before the hobby itself dies? Will the traders blame themselves for the loss, or will they simply change the type of stock on their shelves?

So, as Gerrit advises 'attend those shows and support the vendors, once they are gone they are gone.'

Mike
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:26:48 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »
On a positive note this is the statement from the Bristol Club about their show and should be taken as correct rather than the previous misinformation that they will be arranging something different next year (Bristol show thread) and the negative opening post here that the show is "lost"

At this time it is hard to say what format the 2020 show will take assuming there will be one  but don't right it off just yet.

“We are looking at alternative venues and approaches to see an event return in 2020, a return that will build on our success over the past 17 years.

“The Bristol Society of Model & Experimental Engineers faces considerable challenges in 2019 both with the exhibition and with other society affairs. In respect of the exhibition, it is evident that the model engineering environment is undergoing increasing change. We see changing demographics having an effect on many exhibitions, including ours, with increased costs, reduced visitor numbers and the growth in internet based purchasing being used by consumers; all these changes contribute to uncertainty around what might be the best exhibition format.

“In addition to those challenges we, as a society, need to focus on some big issues we currently face.”

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
On a positive note this is the statement from the Bristol Club about their show and should be taken as correct rather than the previous misinformation that they will be arranging something different next year (Bristol show thread) and the negative opening post here that the show is "lost"

Yes you are correct there will be no 2019 show at Bristol, the wording on the Bristol thread could be interpreted that there possibly is going to be one.

I understand from someone who spoke to the club that the "scaled down event" they hope to run in 2020 is going to go more in the direction of the Guildford Railway Gala weekend with less expectation on traders, in a different and cheaper venue.

Jo

P.S. I recall the ME show originally just had a year off  :(

ChuckKey

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 10:26:37 PM »
I can have a bacon buttie for breakfast for a treat at the show and not feel guilty :-X

A trip to The Fosse would be more enjoyable if the catering were not so dismally atrocious.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline modeng2000

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »
A trip to The Fosse would be more enjoyable if the catering were not so dismally atrocious.
[/quote]

I don't know where you were eating but I have never had a bad meal at the exhibition.
The staff are friendly and the food is hot and very acceptable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 04:10:43 PM by modeng2000 »

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »
The whole hobby might be morphing.....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/534672160/mastercrafts-magazine-build-cool-stuff?fbclid=IwAR3pMeU2tYDN5s04NB3JuoQkA3r5qBNdQkzx1q4IfnPR6y3zPsirYLkyO2c

Dave

I've been thinking about this, and I'm with you Dave. I think we are myopically focused on our little area when there is a huge amount of stuff going on around us.  I was thinking of "Maker Spaces" and things like that.  No, they don't call it Model Engineering, and they may not focus specifically on machining steam and IC engines.  But it's a similar kind of urge to build & create. To learn and to make stuff on your own. And that, to me, is the crux of our hobby.

Every hobby I've been involved in has had the same kind of discussion.  At lease, every hobby I've been involved in since the internet allowed me to see these kinds of discussions.  The hobby is shrinking, no young people are showing interest, what is happening with our kids these days, etc...

But I think it is just a matter of us drawing our boundaries in very fixed ways, and not looking at where the kids are going and what they are doing.  It isn't going to be exactly what we do.  They're a different generation.  But I don't think it spells the end of anything.  Just gentle changes and sometimes refocusing to a way that applies to them in their world, as opposed to us in our world.

While it's sad that things change, they do.  And in fact, if they didn't change, that would be worse.

And maybe some of the inevitability of that is how the internet generation will deal with gatherings.  Are shows going away in general?  Maybe.  The ones we're focused on seem to be (GEARS for my local example).  But instead, I see some Maker Fairs going on in the area.  If I'd get off my duff and go to one of those, I'll bet I'd be impressed and surprised with what these people do. And I'm betting they'd be WAY more accepting of me and what I'm doing with my shop full of tools than we might have been to them at our shows (well, I hope that's not the case, but I said it for emphasis :)).

So, in summary, my thesis is that I think we are mourning a change.  But if we're mourning the loss of people who want to learn new things and build stuff with their own hands, I think we're just not looking very hard and we need to examine where we draw our boundaries.

Those are my deep thoughts for the morning! :)
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal