Author Topic: Model shows - the end of?  (Read 5349 times)

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Model shows - the end of?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2018, 08:38:04 PM »
KIM, I agree with you, OK a lot of "youngsters" cannot see further than a computer screen,,, but just look what some of them are doing on them and then printing out on 3D printers rather than lathes or mills??? What would our Grandfathers have said about lathes and mills being "normal" in our workshops. Let alone DRO, CNC, etc. Any Hobby/Pastime evolves with time.
     Sadly to some of us has the Internet with it's relatively easy access to tool, materials, and information corrupted our hobby or moved it into a different era????

When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2018, 08:44:29 PM »
Sorry pushed the wrong button :zap: Just to finish my rant,,, I still like the shows as a newbie I can talk to like minded people and buy those things that I didn't know I couldn't live without. Also to see live what people have produced just leaves me speechless. (about time SWMBO)  :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2018, 12:49:30 AM »
Well I don't know about Rant....or that I'm somehow prophetic..

But let me digress briefly,.....to someone worthy of the moniker.

My good friend Ray Hasbrouck, built a beautiful #10 steam launch engine.   Very nice...I asked him,  "Ray?  Would it offend you if I turned your engine into a compound launch engine by using your #10 as the HP, and creating a larger cylinder for the LP?"    I had the utmost respect for Ray, and did this question by letter, and he wrote back to me square away.

"Dave, that would be Great!   I love when anybody builds a steam engine!"

Now, if you look at that with today's prism, I say   "Great!   I love it when someone builds Something!"

Listen, we have the hots for engines,  and machine tools....well me personally. 8)

I've also spent five years discussing Ad-nauseum RC racing on these very pages....yeah that was a lot, and yeah I built a lot RC stuff....and if you don't think thats Engineering...you weren't paying attention!

But it's all kinda the same thing..    We're all a bunch of "Doers"....and expecting anything else from this lot is tantamount to trying to put rain back in the clouds.   To expect the next generation to be different because they know a PCs better than us, or use a lot of  :NotWorthy: :whoohoo: :censored: :hammerbash:   to communicate....is just silly!.

(listen to me getting all progressive and %*&^!  ...don't worry I'll revert..)

Dave

PS   William is in his room building another airplane...from plans he created...and I've been told to bugger off with the help    :lolb:    Good!!!    The Crew chief has done enough wrenching for a while!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal