Author Topic: Model shows - the end of?  (Read 5350 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Model shows - the end of?
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »
As those of you who have participated in the Midlands Model show thread have been discussing of late the number of model engineering shows has rapidly declined. In the UK over the last 3 years we have lost the following shows:

Model Engineering Exhibition
Guildford Model Engineering Rally
Bristol Model engineering Show.

All of these have suffered from financial challenges that in the end made them unviable. So Is there an alternative? And what will the consequences be if there are no more shows?  :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Model shows - the end of?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:55:28 AM »
To be fair both Guildford and Bristol have not been lost, Guildford has changed and Bristol will too. Maybe they don't suit us model engine builders but from comments elsewhere this years Guildford was a good show for the Loco lovers who still seem to be in the majority.

We have also gained the likes of Lowestotf in the last couple of years. https://www.lowmex.co.uk/

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:04:30 AM »
The response back from the Guildford club was that the majority of the attendees this year was the kiddies and their parents. They took only the same as two regular running days so it won't be long before they question why they are making any additional effort at all. Other railway running clubs like Maldern take 3 times what Guildford did on their regular track running days.

Should shows be money making/financial activities or should they be for model makers? Like SCTEG: if we closed the doors to the public, we can have much more model making focused activities.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
Should shows be money making/financial activities or should they be for model makers? Like SCTEG: if we closed the doors to the public, we can have much more model making focused activities.

Jo

Even then is there the interest? SCMTEG Steaming/running day cancelled as not enough support/models and even in previous years only a few running engines. Don't even get the number of traction engine models there at the other meetings like there was in the start before you joined and that was when there were far fewer members as it was more a MJ owners/builders club.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
:headscratch:

So I am assuming from the lack of comments (other than JB's usual negativism  :disappointed: ) that everyone thinks that the time is up for model shows and no one believes that we could do anything to save them    :'(

Jo

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 07:39:21 PM »
Just a quick thought, we have shown/displayed various vehicles engines etc at "Steam Rallies" for many years and I have noticed that more people are showing their model engines at them than ever before. This year at Stapleford on August bank holiday weekend a good display of miniature traction engines, several model stationary engines (running!!) and various other models in the beer tent. Is this becoming an alternative? Last year at Lincoln Steam the display in the model "building" was superb.  :old: :DrinkPint: JC
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 07:56:59 PM »
Hello Jo,

Even though we here in the US do not have as many shows as you do on the other side of the pond, I sure hope that more shows are the new normal and not less.

I am involved in old cars and the "Car Shows" are more and bigger than ever. The Cruising the Coast event held this past weekend had a record number of entries, 8,444, and no motel or hotel rooms were available for almost 100 miles. The entries and general public that attended the week long show was over 200,000. Maybe this is not apples to apples comparison but again I hope the organizers of the Model Shows make necessary changes to increase the interest and attendance. Possibly seek professional help.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 08:11:12 PM »
I had a vague idea what the thread was about then this:

SCTEG ?

SCMTEG ?

MJ Owners ?

Then I was adrift on an ocean of doubt and uncertainty.   :D

I don't think I'm alone either.

As a time-served ancient I see lots of others at shows. Not so many younger. As we pop off, can't be bothered to go, can't afford to travel long distances etc. the foot-fall will inevitably decline to the point where the shows are no longer viable. Town centres are changing, people are changing, interests are changing. I can remember when hobby electronics was fairly common and had gatherings for it. Not any-more.

I'm surprised that you're surprised ....  :D  Have a slurp and a nibble or two. Accept it and just patronise the ones that are left. It's the way it is. Things come, things go. Like my can of Bass. That's gone .... and it's mate ....  :DrinkPint:   :Lol:

Dave

Dave

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »
I attended the Bristol show for several years when I started modelling in 2010 but it is a bit far for me to drive these days; a sentiment I hear from several members of this and other forums who feel the effects of Old Father Time . 
I am now a regular at the Midlands show and always take a shopping list with me.  The last machine I bought, a bandsaw 2 years ago, I held off buying for a couple of months to make sure Warco got my order at the show, there was no show discount but I didn't mind that as long as I was encouraging Warco to keep turning up. 
If we all did this it may help to keep the traders spending the time and money to attend but they incur considerable costs in doing so and their web presence is cheaper, even if they have to give their wares to "influencers" free to get them seen, so we can't blame them for staying away.  Without the traders paying for space the organisers of shows such as Bristol incur costs with insufficient income to pay them.
It seems to me that the times they are a'changing and the internet is having a detrimental affect all over the place.  All I can do is keep going to the show that I can get to and spend as much of my modelling budget as I can while I'm there.
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 08:27:56 PM »

SCTEG ?

SCMTEG ?

Southern Counties Model traction Engine Group, except Jo forgot the Model bit :Doh:

It's a small informal group that meet 2-3 times a year, usually have a speaker but there is as much chatting and catching up with others before and during lunch. Actually I would be happy if it were just the morning and no speaker just the chat is OK with me.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 08:37:49 PM »

SCTEG ?

SCMTEG ?

Southern Counties Model traction Engine Group, except Jo forgot the Model bit :Doh:

It's a small informal group that meet 2-3 times a year, usually have a speaker but there is as much chatting and catching up with others before and during lunch. Actually I would be happy if it were just the morning and no speaker just the chat is OK with me.

Thanks Jason  :ThumbsUp:

I was a bit baffled ..  :headscratch:

Dave

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 09:06:35 PM »
Hi Jo,

The seeming demise of the engineering shows is not being helped at all by some of the larger suppliers deciding that it is too expensive to attend and they prefer to use on-line shopping as the cheaper route.

When you couple this with the ageing model engineering population and the distances to travel you end up with a "perfect storm" situation where financially it no longer becomes feasible for the shows to continue.

I try to attend two such shows each year, and always send in a shopping list for collection as an enticement to suppliers' and this year will be visiting the Blackgates stand as well as Tracy Tools stand to collect items, and save on postage, which can be quite steep as well.

When you reflect that the whole of the motor industry is cancelling their major car shows then our little part of the industry is lucky to have any shows at all to go to.

Mike

"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 11:49:16 PM »
I agree with Mike Bondarczuk, what he said seems to sum it up completely.

Take the dominance of the internet, both for shopping and entertainment, disinterest by the younger generations in what grandad does , the aging model engineering population and you end up with a "perfect storm" situation where financially it no longer feasible for the shows to continue.

Times, they are a changing, we must learn to accept that fact. There is nothing we can do to bring back the lost shows, we can only give our wholehearted support to try to hold onto the few remaining shows. So what can we do about this unfortunate situation?

This year, Mike Cole and I took our model engines and a gazebo tent to the Guildford Gala day. Although we were almost the only display of model engineering there, we managed to attracted a constant stream of visitors. We intend to do the same next year and hope a few more will follow out lead.

Mike Cole and I also decided to exhibit our model engines at the forthcoming Midlands Exhibition (it's next weekend). Actually the organisers were not exactly enthusiastic about making space for more model exhibits. Eventually, after saying yes and no several times, they finally allocated us a small table beside the entrance to the cafeteria. The table space is limited so we are having to time share. Not exactly an encouraging response, but perhaps we have managed to get a foot in the doorway for next time.

There is one idea that could be a great help to the MEM forum members. That would be for the  Admins to create a new Forthcoming Events category, which is easy to find by the members. Any member can add the details of any local club events for all to see. Of particular interest would be details of events where the organisers are prepared to host visiting model exhibitors, by providing covered table space etc.  Jo made a start by posting details of next year's Wilton Show (it's near Salisbury) but that information is difficult to find, even when you are aware it's bee n posted somewhere on the forum. I am sure a new Forthcoming Events category would make it easier for anyone to find event information. The new category could have separate sections for the UK, Europe, the USA and one for the rest of the world.

The alternative could be to use the calendar section, but that feature does does not seem to work correctly at the moment.

Any other ideas?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 12:12:48 AM »
Sad to see such in the UK it has happened here downunder in other types of shows but if they become stale or over costly for all concerened then maybe its time to restructure.
If this is the case in the UK what would the lack of interest mean for all the magazines which cover these hobbies and businness?

Here the growing cost is/was due to greed of exhibition management, venue owners  & insurance costs the biggest of all.

Also here was such as over zealous safety nutters who made it impossible to encourage the younger ones by allowing hands on or to get close to exhibits. Over a few years at woodshows this was the biggest killer, where taking or allowing kids to experience let alone adults was discouraged.

Since about 2014 we have seen a resurgence of vintage machinery shows growing in number and venues around the country, some now incorporated with model engineering and other hobbies such as restoration enthusiasts.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 12:45:48 AM »

There is one idea that could be a great help to the MEM forum members. That would be for the  Admins to create a new Forthcoming Events category, which is easy to find by the members.

Mike

There is a dedicated area called "Shows" specifically to alert others of upcoming shows and events and post pictures after they take place.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:10:41 AM by stevehuckss396 »
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal