Author Topic: Junk yard find  (Read 1859 times)

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
Junk yard find
« on: October 10, 2018, 03:16:54 PM »
HP DesignJet 750 

Found this in the local salvage yard, for Free. It even had an almost full roll of paper on it.  In a cartridge alignment test, it only prints in cyan. So next I need to determine if the other cartridges are empty or plugged. Could also be in the carriage electrical wiring.
Does anyone out there happen to have the install CD for this printer, and be willing to copy the files?  It would be much appreciated. I could not find it on HP web site.
Appears it will work with Windows 7, if I can find out how to install the driver.
Gary
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Junk yard find
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
If the nozzles on the printhead are clogged, old trick in the industry is to lay a damp paper towel on the nozzle plate to soak and loosen up the dried ink, especially if its the dye base ink (pigmented is tougher). Dont press down or rub it or you will damage the nozzle plate, they are very very thin and fragile.
The inkjet printers are usually sold way below cost, and they make up the loss by way overcharging you for a few ml's of ink (yes, I used to be a firmware engineer in that industry, the markups on ink are phenomenal).

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 10:53:55 PM »
I found the driver. The driver did not come with  install.exe, it only unzipped to one dll file. Thought there would be pdf file operators manual, but no.
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 03:02:36 AM »
Gary go to HPs web site and downloard the driver. I believe my plotter is a 750 but need to check it and I do have the drivers. I will check it tomorrow. My plotter is a 42 inch plotter. The printer heads on mine a bad and the cost is in the hundreds for new ones.

Don

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:41:48 PM »
Don

Do an e-bay search for the HP 750. There are lots of parts there.

Gary
Gary

Offline GWRdriver

• Tennessee USA
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:10:40 AM »
I have a 750C, and have an operation question, but first some background.
For many years I had an HP DJ-600 B/W plotter which was one of the best plotters I ever used and properly configured would produce brilliantly crisp inked drawrings (architectural.)  I hoped it would live forever, but my last 600 went toes-up about the same time I needed to retire sooo . . I replaced it with a 750C which I've continued to use for personal and hobby work and I'm generally very pleased with the machine and the image quality it produces. (I use it only in B/W mode.)

The question I have is this:
My old DJ600s were configured to cut (roll) paper as soon as the last image was laid down.  Cut paper size, and margins, were controlled by the plotted image; sometimes the control point was an almost invisible pip in the plot area.  However, so far I haven't been able to configure my 750 to do the same thing and for any plot, no matter how small, it will run out a full 36"+ sheet.  Very wasteful.

I've asked many HP techies/experts, some say it's software configuration, some say it's hardware.  But nothing changes.  Does anyone have any ideas?
Cheers,
Harry

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 02:58:43 AM »
Before I retired the company I worked for tossed 2 out and they wouldn't let anyone have them. They both worked just fine just a tad slow. They had a place that will not allow anything they pick up leave the yard. Man it was a waste and I was to say the least pissed off! And they funny thing is they claim to be a green company HA They are anything but green before they took over our company they would have sales of items they wanted to get rid of so they could be used by some one else. I have quite a few things I got that way then after they took over that ended.
anyway good luck. The drivers I use to have on a jump drive don't know if I still have them.
  They do sell a kit to clean the print heads but I found it easier to just clean them with denatured alcohol some time had to do it 3 or 4 times to get it to work but once it did it would go a long time before acting up again.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 03:42:08 AM »
Gary sorry mine is a 500ps but hp should have the driver on there site.

Don

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »
When I "retired" my HP750 I paid two of my "Millenials" $100.00 to leave it in an apartment complex dumpster. I was lucky to get rid of it. As I remember it cost $8800.00 new when we bought it. Yes, it had a roll of paper in it too.
Mosey

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
I have a 750C, and have an operation question, but first some background.
For many years I had an HP DJ-600 B/W plotter which was one of the best plotters I ever used and properly configured would produce brilliantly crisp inked drawrings (architectural.)  I hoped it would live forever, but my last 600 went toes-up about the same time I needed to retire sooo . . I replaced it with a 750C which I've continued to use for personal and hobby work and I'm generally very pleased with the machine and the image quality it produces. (I use it only in B/W mode.)

The question I have is this:
My old DJ600s were configured to cut (roll) paper as soon as the last image was laid down.  Cut paper size, and margins, were controlled by the plotted image; sometimes the control point was an almost invisible pip in the plot area.  However, so far I haven't been able to configure my 750 to do the same thing and for any plot, no matter how small, it will run out a full 36"+ sheet.  Very wasteful.

I've asked many HP techies/experts, some say it's software configuration, some say it's hardware.  But nothing changes.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Harry

Remove the cover on the right side (the one with control panel).  You can easily see how the cutter works. You can defeat the automatic cutter and fab a way to cut anywhere you want.

Gary
Gary

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »
Harry

Sitting here looking at my plotter, you don't need to fabricate anything. Just remove the arm the carriage grabs, then you can manually do the cutting.

Gary
Gary

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 02:31:01 AM »
Did some more trouble shooting today. Like I said before, only the cyan will print in a cartridge alignment test. So I unplugged the 2 ribbon cables (each with 30 traces) feeding the print carriage and did a continuity check. Found 6 on one and 3 on the other that were open. 

Found a set on e-bay for 17 dollars and free shipping, so guess I'll give it a go.
Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal