Author Topic: Pottyengineering Horizontal Mill Engine - Imperial - Mike's 3rd Engine  (Read 17430 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Pottyengineering Horizontal Mill Engine - Imperial - Mike's 3rd Engine
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2018, 12:56:54 AM »
For not much shop time, you still got a lot done Mike. I like that eccentric design.

Bill

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2018, 04:30:27 PM »
Respect to you for achieving this fine standard of work despite the other matters you are dealing with currently.

:ThumbsUp:

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2018, 06:38:42 PM »
Well, the holidays certainly interfered with progress on the engine as did a few other things, but I did manage to do a bit of work, most of it yesterday so i thought I'd better catch up on my posting regarding the progress on this engine.

The major part that I had been putting off until last was the connecting rod.  I'd thought a lot about how I was going to do this part.  I'd contemplated silver soldering 3 parts together but couldn't figure out how I'd keep everything aligned well enough.  I'd thought about threading 3 parts and then silver soldering them, but that seemed like a lot of work without a sure ending.  So in the end, i decided to make it more or less like Stew Hart and others had done, that is turning it from a piece of solid stock.  But I still very carefully thought thru the order of operations to give myself the best chance of success.  So here's the tale!

i had some stock that was 3/4" x 5/16".  I didn't show the operation, but I took that piece of stock down to 3/4" x 1/4" as called out on the drawing.  In this pix, I drilled a small center hole in one of the ends of the stock and 2 small holes .089" (#43) fairly deep.  These holes will become the bolt holes for the bearings eventually.  I drilled these something like .40" deep and you'll see why in a bit.  I've found that I can drill small deep holes fairly easily by turning the spindle pretty fast and using the Unist coolant/air blast to keep the drill cleaned and lubed.  I withdraw the drill quite often and this seems to work.  I don't show a pix of it but I turned the stock over and drilled a center hole in the other end also, just as a contingency as I wasn't sure if my conceptual technique would work or not.

I also didn't show the operation of drilling the hole for the bearing/bushing as that's pretty straightforward.  I simply did the edge finding and then left 3/8" extra stock on the each end beyond what I needed.  I'm showing the part on the print with a layout line marked showing where the round portion of the con rod is to start.  Notice the extra stock top and bottom.

Shown is how I ended up mounting the  stock in the lathe.  I used the 4J chuck and carefully centered it in the jaws using a dial indicator.  This process is a bit tedious as you can't simply hand-rotate the chuck without first backing out the dial indicator.  After I got that end centered in the jaws, I installed a live center and rechecked the centering.  Everything remained true.  The technique I used to remove most of the stock was to plunge in with a 2mm carbide grove/turning insert until I got close to the required OD and then I took a light pass to take out the resulting grooves.  I really don't like interrupted cuts but this process worked ok. 

Next i switched over to a 3mm carbide radius insert and brought the ends to dimension and started forming the radius that makes the transition from the round section to each end.

Next, I moved the compound to 3 degrees so as to cut a taper toward the headstock.  I also slewed the tool around so that it could get into the root of the joint and not rub when approaching the headstock end.   I also marked the center of the con rod to give a reference as to when I'd completed the taper.

Then I set the compound 3 degrees the other way and cut toward the tailstock.  This was the part that had me worried and the reason I put center holes in each end in case I had to turn the part around in the lathe.  I wasn't sure that I'd have enough clearance to cut a taper in this direction but it ended up working fine.  The radius tool I used was long enough to work well for this op.

Some work with emery cloth and Scotch Brite got the part to a pretty good finish on the round portion.  The marks from the 4J will be taken care of in future ops.  Hopefully this pix shows why I left extra material on each end for the lathe work.

A closeup pix of the crank end of the con rod showing the bolt holes magically appearing!  Doing the drilling earlier was easier as i was working in a solid piece which meant I wasn't worried about alignment or flexing.

Then back to the mill to take the crankshaft end of the con rod down to 1/8" thick as called out on the drawing.  Since the part still has the 3/4" width available, alignment in the mill is easy.

A pix on the print showing the crankshaft end done.

Then I needed to make the con rod bearing retaining plate.  I had some of the 3/4" x 1/4" stock that I'd earlier prepared and after edge finding, drilled the 2 required .089" hole in the end just deeper than 1/8".  This is clearance size for the 2-56 bolts to be used.

Then I used a .035" thick slitting saw to cut off the retaining plate at 1/8" thick.  I used the Unist running air and lube to keep the chips clear and the cut lubricated.  I'm always amazed how well slitting saws work.  This blade is 2.5" OD and I turned it at about 100 rpm.  The part was on dimension and required almost no deburring.

The bearing retainer cap and con rod shown on the print.  They even fit together properly!  Another minor miracle!

Then on to the con rod bearings.  I had a piece of Al bronze flat bar and milled down a small bit of it to 3/4" x 1/4".  I didn't show that process as it's pretty straightforward.   Then I drilled thru the solid piece in 2 locs with a #43 drill for the clearance holes for the 2-56 bolts.

Then I used the slitting saw to cut the stock into 2 more or less even pieces.  The Al Bronze cut very easily.  Same setup as earlier. 

Next I put the 2 halves on a parallel in the mill mise and took them both down to exactly .25" thickness as the drawing calls for.  The holes will match since they were drilled thru the solid prior to cutting them apart.

The completed bearing bronze's on the print.

Next was to drill the bearing bronzes for the crankshaft in exactly the correct spot.  Since I still have sufficient flat stock, mounting it as shown in the mill vise was easy. I then located the center of the existing hole with a DTI and then moved down using the DRO to the exact distance required.  This pix shows the centering operation.

I didn't show the spot drilling, thru drilling a bit undersize and then reaming to .001" over 1/4" but i do show a small piece of the crank material fitting thru the hole.  This felt about right to me at .001" over.  It rotates freely without any slop.

Now, since I'm pretty well done with needing to hold for alignment, I started bringing the round end of the con rod to size.  Here I'm milling down the end to get fairly close to the required OD of the round end.

Next I made a simple 'filing button' that's a 1/2" OD with a stub of 5/16" that fits within the con rod end ID.  I also blued and marked the to be round end.  And you'll note that the part is laying on the belt sander.  I used the belt sander to get the part very close to round and to the final OD. 

Here's a pix of the con rod in an intermediate state.  More finishing work is required!

One of the issues that I'd been having is workholding for small parts.  I had some aluminum caps for my bench vise that were held on my magnets.  These work ok, but only if the work can be held to the center of the jaws.  When attempting to hold small parts near the top or ends, the caps would flip and slide around.  So I took some time and copied the Wilton vise jaws but in AL and added 2 shallow grooves to hold round work as required.  Grooves are only on one jaw, the other is completely plain.  The grooves are dimensioned to be able to hold work as small as 3/32" round stock. 

Now I can finally hold small parts as I need to!  A very worthwhile upgrade!

To get to the final radius around the circular end, I used needle files and then to smooth out the finish I used this setup.  That's a piece of 2" round grey Scotch Brite that uses the 3M Roloc fastening system.  I chucked that up in my drill motor and gently applied it to improve the finish in that root area. 

A pix of the con rod with the work so far.

I made the bushing for the con rod out of a piece of SAE 660 bearing bronze.  Shown is after the OD was turned and the con rod is a slip fit onto it. 

Drilling thru the to-be bushing using a 15/64" drill.  (1/64" under 1/4")

Reaming .001" under .25"

Parting off just a bit over .25" using a 2mm carbide insert tool.

Completed bearing/bushing shown on the print.

And the final pix for today.  This is the bearing/bushing pressed into the con rod using some Loctite 603 to retain it.

I still need to do a bit more work on the con rod with some abrasive paper on a flat surface to clean up the flat sides of the con rod.  I'll hopefully get this done today.

Then the only remaining bits I have are the piston valve rod, and the eccentric rod plus 2 little fittings to join the 2.  That should all go pretty quickly!  Famous last words I'm sure.  Then I'll start to assemble the engine to start setting up the various parts and to check for final fit.  Hopefully that means I'll try to run it on air pretty quickly now!

All for now.

Enjoy!

Mike.

MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2018, 08:10:54 PM »
Nice progress Mike - the part looks fine  :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #94 on: December 30, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »
Wonderful sequence on the con rod!   :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »
Another nice and somewhat tricky part to check off the list. Nicely done!!

Bill

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2018, 12:59:29 AM »
Just another quick update from today's work in the shop. 

I spent a fair bit of time smoothing and polishing various parts but I didn't take any pix of those ops since it was all pretty straightforward.

I did make the piston valve rod.  I'm showing the completed part since this was just cutting a piece of 1/8" drill rod to length and threading one end 2-56. 

Valve rod shown installed to the piston valve.  There's only about 3 threads holding this together so I think I'll probably Loctite these pieces together after I make sure everything fits.

And the last part I made today, the eccentric rod.  Again this was just a piece of 1/8" drill rod that was threaded 5-40 on each end for about 3/8".  Since I used 5-40 thread size here, I didn't even have to turn the rod down at all, just ran the threading die to the required length.   Bending to the offset into the rod was also pretty simple.  I made a reference mark in the center and then clamped the rod in my bench vise and made the first bend by hand.  Then I turned the rod around in the vise and bent the rod in other direction being careful to keep the 2 bends aligned.  The bend length is longer than the drawing shows but the offset is almost exactly the same so it should work fine, at least I think so!

Tomorrow I just need to make the 2 fittings that join these rods together and then I'll start assembly and fitting!   I'm finally getting very near to the end of this build!

One thing I learned today while polishing and smoothing various parts is that in some cases I was too aggressive when deburring the smaller parts.  That caused a bit more gap on some edges were I think it would have looked better if the edges appeared to fit more closely.  This is an appearance only thing, but I'm learning how important all the details are when you're going for an attractive finished engine. 

All for today.

Enjoy!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2019, 02:13:50 AM »
Well, I've finally arrived at a momentous day!  I've finished all the metal parts for the engine and have just started on the wooden base.   That gets me very close to assembly and initial trials!.

The remaining parts were the valve rod coupling and the eccentric rod coupling.  The parts are very similar so I just took a few pix of whatever ops were unique rather than a blow by blow of each part.

I sawed off a couple of small pieces of 1/4" drill rod and cleaned up the ends and turned the stock to length in the lathe.  Shown here is tapping the eccentric rod coupling 5-40 using my normal process of a spring loaded tap follower and a small tap wrench.  After drilling to depth, I ran in a plug tap followed by a bottoming tap.

Both parts required a .136" (#29) cross-hole drilled thru as shown.   I put each piece in a collet block and did the usual edge finding, then spot drilled and finally drilled thru.  Shown in the pix is drilling thru with a #29.

The valve rod coupling required a section turned down to an OD of .125" with a shorter section threaded to 4-40 which required the to-be threaded section turned down to .109".  The photo shows using a very narrow .040" HSS parting plate to put a thread relief at the end of the to-be threaded section.  I like to do this so the nut will thread all the way on.

After threading and trying the 2 pieces together, I needed just a bit more length to allow proper fit.  So i took about .007" from the shoulder using a 2mm carbide insert parting tool.

And here are the last 2 parts completed!

And shown assembled.

I've started on the wooden bases for the current engine and my previous 2 builds.  This wood is pretty special to me.  My brother and i grew up in western Oklahoma on a farm that had a river and a creek running thru part of it.  My dad cleared some bottom land back in the early 1960's and there were a few walnut trees.  He saved  the larger pieces and had the lumber rough sawn into whatever thickness and lengths that could be made out of the material.  He'd saved that wood and after he got elderly my brother got it all and put it up in his shop.  My brother is a very skilled woodworker among other talents, and cut these pieces out of that old stock and planed and sanded it smooth.  Shown is one raw piece with the other 3 pieces having one coat of boiled linseed oil applied.  The imperfections were chosen deliberately, as to me they're the best looking and most interesting.  Over the next several days I'll put several more coats of linseed oil on the pieces.  I think the engines will look good on top of this wood. 

I'll start assembling the engine and will probably just take a piece of scrap 2x4 and screw the baseplate onto it for now so I can assemble and test easily.  After the walnut wood is finished, I'll then move the engine over once the linseed oil is dry enough.

All for today.

Enjoy!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »
Beautiful work and wood too - I'm sure it ends up being a fantastic end result  :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2019, 04:03:03 PM »
The wood is beautiful Mike. Can't wait to see it turned into a fine base for the engine!

Bill

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2019, 02:26:54 AM »
Well, a long awaited day for me finally arrived.  I've started the assembly and fitting of all the various engine parts that I made over the past couple of months! 

Taking pix of the assembly and fitting process is hard as it's not really clear in a pix as to what I ended up doing but I'll attach 4 pix and then try to explain where I'm at and what issues I've corrected so far.

First pix of the engine.  It's temporarily screwed down to a piece of scrap 2x4 lumber so that i could install the flywheel and easily rotate the engine.

Another view of the engine.

3rd view of the engine.  Don't worry, I put a brass washer under each of those temp mounting screws to avoid marring the base plate.

And lastly my wooden bases with more coats of linseed oil on them.  Just a couple of more coats of oil to go on these.  I think they'll look good against the bright metal and brass.

So what i was after today was to see see if I could first of all get the engine to rotate and to see if the piston rod was the correct length so that the piston traveled equally to the top and bottom within the cylinder.  There's an adjustment on the crosshead to change the travel if necessary.

Here are the changes that I had to make to get to this point.

- Had to shorten the mounting screws for the cylinder.  The cylinder was not secured to the base as the screws bottomed out in the cylinder before the cylinder was secured.  That was a quick job with a collet in the lathe to shorten the 4-40 screws.

- Piston stroke was luckily quite close.  I maybe need to bring it toward the bottom of the cylinder by no more than 1/32" but I might leave it where its at.  At most i could move the adjustment by 1/2 a turn.  But there's no interference top or bottom now and the steam passages top and bottom are fully exposed at TDC and BDC, so it's very close. 

- The biggest problem was that the crosshead and connecting rod interfered as the OD of the con rod touched the corner radius at the bottom of the crosshead.  I ended up taking it apart and lightly filing the radius to give a bit more clearance in that area and then it was fine.  I was constantly recalling Stew Hart's tagline "A little clearance never gets in the way'!

- The crosshead slides and guides fit well and they traveled freely without neither excessive tightness or slop.

- The con rod fit the crankshaft well and wasn't sloppy or too tight. 

At this point the engine can be turned over by hand quite easily and after i oiled everything, if I quickly turn the flywheel by hand, it will coast 3 or 4 revolutions before coming to a stop.  So, i THINK this engine should run on air once I finish the assembly, provided I haven't made a fatal mistake with the valve body / piston valve / eccentric assembly. 

My next goal is to finish the assembly, get the timing done and try to run it on air.  If that's not successful, then I'll attempt to fix whatever is wrong.  If it is successful, then I'll take it all apart, clean up and improve the finish on some of the parts, paint the flywheel,  and assemble it onto the finished walnut base. 

All for today.

Enjoy!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2019, 02:56:00 AM »
That looks terrific, the base color should look great against the metal. Great job if all it needs is that little bit of tweaking.   :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2019, 02:52:21 PM »
Just beautiful Mike. Really looking forward to seeing it run for the first time and mounted on that gorgeous base!!

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2019, 03:55:57 PM »
Hello Mike,

A really beautiful engine.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »
Hi Mike,

Beautifully done and the construction report is well supported with excellent photographs.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal