Author Topic: Scale Model Fasteners Drawings and Fusion 360 models  (Read 1982 times)

Offline mikehinz

Scale Model Fasteners Drawings and Fusion 360 models
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:45:30 PM »
All,  I thought the following might be of use to others on the forum.  See the following.

In the process of making a Fusion 360 model of Stewart Hart's 'potty engineering horizontal mill engine', I wanted this upcoming engine to have a bit more realism than the past 2 engines that I've built.  During the CAD process I soon realized, what many others already know, that standard fasteners don't look proportionally correct on a small model.  Located in the US, I soon found American Model Engineering Supply and their wonderful collection of scale model fasteners. 

The problem I then ran into was inserting said fasteners into a Fusion 360 model.  That process is very easy if you are used standard fasteners from McMaster Carr (or others) as McMaster has CAD models of almost all their parts that can be inserted into a model.  That same facility doesn't exist for American Modeling or others, at least as far as I can tell.  So, what did was to take the dimensions from the American Model website and made CAD models of the fasteners from 10-32 to 2-56, nuts, bolts, washers.  I made each part as a 'component' within Fusion 360 so any individual part can be copied and pasted into a working model.  I've also created a drawing for reference and attached it to this post plus I'm posting the A360 link to the model and to the drawing.

Link to Fusion 360 model of scale model fasteners:

https://a360.co/2OfgDty

Link to Fusion 360 drawing of scale model fasteners - same as PDF attached to this post

https://a360.co/2Oe1Q2q

Good luck with these and let me know if they work and are useful!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Re: Scale Model Fasteners Drawings and Fusion 360 models
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:52:57 PM »
Thank you, Mike, for sharing your work. I have downloaded your files and will put them to good use.
Chuck

Offline mikehinz

Re: Scale Model Fasteners Drawings and Fusion 360 models
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
Thank you, Mike, for sharing your work. I have downloaded your files and will put them to good use.
Chuck

I didn't include the 1-72 or 0-80 fasteners as I didn't really plan to use them, but if needed I can fairly easily add those 2 size just for completeness.  Also, I made all the bolts with 1/2" length.  What i do is copy that size and then modify the fastener model thread length that I need in the destination drawing.  i find that the best process and quite easy to do once you try it a couple of times.

Good luck!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal