Author Topic: Pushing forward  (Read 788 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Pushing forward
« on: October 06, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Has been a bit of a rough week . Lost a good friend Saturday morning cardiac arrest .  Then work one guy on vacation and another out sick two days .  I have a love have relationship with cad. When things work i love it when climbing the sometimes slippery slope of the leaning curve i love to hate it. I am trying to print out a steam engine model. but not liking the flywheel so felt like i needed to redesign it.
i attempted the redesign in 123d design and could not get the last step for anything .  So decided to log into F360. I had done this before but nothing worth saving. Today i had better fortune . i figured out the design was able save the file locally export as an stl, slice and the thing is on my printer.  so progress. and a bit of feeling of success.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Pushing forward
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:49:58 PM »

:atcomputer: Never give up...

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »
Tin Falcon--I worked on a drafting board for 32 years. Then, due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to start working on a computer. I sweat blood for two years straight leaning AutoCAD 13 (Verifiably the most horrible cad package Autodesk ever put out). By the third year, just when I was beginning to get comfortable with 2D, everyone wanted work done in 3D. And---surprise!!! Going from 2D to 3D wasn't really that difficult. Now that I had learned the secrets of drawing something in 2D on a computer, it wasn't a huge step to take that 2D sketch and extrude it into 3D space. Of course that was 20 years ago, and I am still learning new tricks in 3D but I know how trying to make the computer do something it should do but won't can have you running in circles and biting yourself.---Brian

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »
Brian I took drafting  in jr high and high school I kind of lost interest in the  advanced classes. I then took engineering graphics in college. did better. did ok in acad basics . I had a copy of acad i messed with at home could not make heads or tales of it.I had a copy of alibre cad when they had the $99 dollar deal  I will not get into that story. Messed with most of the free programs  again no joy. the 123 design taught me a lot but now orphaned by autodesk . I messed with inventor some at the local maker space did ok with it but likely did not spend enough time on it to really learn. F360 seems to be the go to program for hobbyist these days.
To be having to force ones self up the slippery learning curve not fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal