Author Topic: Just taken a gamble - bought a small boiler on ebay.  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Just taken a gamble - bought a small boiler on ebay.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
Something cropped up yesterday so I didn't take my boiler to be inspected like I had intended but I'll do that hopefully next week, in the meantime anticipating it will be ok for small low pressure use I bought a small ceramic burner.

I thought as this was it's first live steaming I'd make a short video so here we go 'The Tiddler' comes to life  :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQh8_9oOt7o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQh8_9oOt7o</a>

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:35:24 PM »
Great little boiler Peter.

Looking forward to seeing it running an engine  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 10:52:14 AM »
Thanks, I've taken the plunge and bought a set of castings to make a 3" Southworth feedpump - I'm told they are fiddly things to make but don't cost a lot and spare castings can be bought so I thought I'd give it a try.

http://www.southworthengines.co.uk/steam-feed-pumps/vertical-steam-pumps/

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
Peter

Now you have set your self a Challenge

If I rate a simple ocilator as a 1 a ME beam as a 6 with a lady Steph as a 7 those come in at a 10

Hope you have a steady hand for the small tapped fixings a optivisor is a great help

It’s a case of think ten times as it’s easy to turn a valve over

I have one that I have built it runs but is temperamental

Good luck getting the boiler tested hope it’s ok  , the pressure to test it at without the drawings may be a problem
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
I also have Surus has in his collection a set of the 6" castings. I didn't think they looked too bad.

If you want a fiddly one try LBSC's Duplex Donkey feed pump  :paranoia:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
Thanks Stuart / Jo  :)

I take the point about it is going to be difficult to have the boiler tested without having the drawings or knowing it's history etc but I'm not too fussed about having a proper certificate as such but I'd like to ensure my own safety at modest pressures.  I'm guessing very simple Mamod / Jensen / Wilesco boilers run at maybe 20PSI so my gut feeling is this will be fine at say 30PSI.

I bought the boiler as a bit of a gamble thinking it could be the basis of a small steam plant but I didn't pay a lot so if the inspector says it's nothing more than scrap I'll just have to take it on the chin.

Assuming it's ok at say 30PSI I thought it would possibly power a Stuart 10V replica I'm building and the 3" Southworth  pump at modest speeds.

As for the pump I did consider an add on set of castings for the Stuart 10v but at £100 against the £40 for a Southworth I chose the latter. I realise it isn't going to be an easy build but they don't cost the earth so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll probably do a build log in the forum so I'm hopeful a few other members will offer a bit of advice  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal