Supporting > Boilers

Just taken a gamble - bought a small boiler on ebay.

<< < (2/5) > >>

michaelr:
How do the hot gases return through the fire tubes ? there seems to be no dry space for the gases to return, as the water gauge and clacks suggest that the boiler has a wet end, or am I missing something.

Michaelr

Jasonb:
I would hope there is a third flanged plate part way along the boiler and the bushes extend through the space created and into the wet side of the boiler. Or some have a "transfer chamber" which is basically a box that connects the large flue to the smaller firetubes and is surrounded by water, though a bit fiddly for such a small boiler.

Gas_mantle:
Cheers Bill  :)

The water gauge, clack valve, blowdown, and safety valve are probably worth close to what I paid and it's quite an attractive little thing so my thinking was if I can get it tested and use it then it's a bonus.

A friend has offered to hydraulically test it and my club boiler inspector ought to be able to further test it and offer advice before I decide quite what to do with it. I did briefly wonder if it is just a demo model to show how horizontal fire tube boilers are made but looking at the build quality and associated fittings I'm more inclined to think that it is a 'real' boiler.

Have any other members come across a similar design in a small scale? I'm not quite sure why someone would build such a small boiler with as many tubes ?

Gas_mantle:
Michaelr, it is a wetback and the hot gases should return through the fire tubes to a chimney.

Jason, I'm no boiler expert and you've lost me a tad, can you say a bit more  :headscratch:

michaelr:
Pictures of my centre flue boiler showing the flue end, and the dry end return hot gas space which has removable end plate.
Michaelr.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version