Author Topic: Miniature coil winder  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: Miniature coil winder
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 01:30:51 AM »
Don not sure where I salvaged these motors. Things like that I tend to hang onto.

Thanks Tom
Well getting down to the finish but I did have a error some where. The wire guide I made from a hypodermic needle and some spring steel but ended up to long and would be to close to the spool. So I need to shorten it and I also missed the feed hole in the one side plate.
Once I get those errors fixed I'll get the counter mounted and the motor and I'll be ready for a trial run. 

Offline Don1966

• Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 04:04:17 AM »
Looking good Doc now need to see it in action!

:cheers:
Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
Thanks Don!

Getting close to the first coil wind and we will see if I end up with a usable coil or not. Always wanted to try this so it will be new to me. I'll need to build a vacuum chamber for it next.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
Pretty much done withe the side winder did fix the control to be standard.

Made a broach rod for broaching the square hole in the spools. Now on to the vacuum impregnation chamber then I will give it a try.

Offline Don1966

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 09:44:26 PM »
Looks good Doc just waiting to see you wound a coil with it. I have one of those speed control I think I paid $14 for it. On the speed pot just reverse the two outer wires to get it the right direction.

:cheers:
Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 04:25:05 AM »
If I get my ignition system finished for my hoglet I'm building I may try and wind up a coil. I have gotten a plan together for the vacuum chamber to impregnate the coil with wax. But first I want to get to the last thing to do on the hoglet which will be the carb.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 03:30:59 AM »
Well started winding my first coils I wound the primary which went pretty good and started on secondary (12,500 wraps).
I've got a plan for the vacuum  chamber in mind and going to start as soo as I get the first one wound up.

Offline Don1966

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2019, 04:24:22 AM »
Cool Doc waiting to see the results!

Don

Offline Chester

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 03:48:14 PM »
Doc, I've been silently following along in the background. I find this very interesting. I just wanted to chime in to let you know that there is more following along

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »
I have been making videos for those that wish to see the progress. If you go to my youtube channel they are there. I just stopped posting them on message boards so you can decide if you want to see them or not. I will post some final pictures when I get one done. I'm in the process of designing and building a vacuum impregnation chamber for them. S far has been working out ok. I did find an error in the book data. The data shown for the resistance for the secondary winding is incorrect it should have been over 8k listed was I think about 2.5k. Anyway still moving forward.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
Well did get my first coil done AND IT WORKS. I tested it on 6v and no problems.  I now need to incase it I'm planning on a box a smaller version of a model T  coil. Here is a pic I took from the video.

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
Coil looks nice + great that it works as you expect  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Don1966

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »
Cool Doc I did watch the videos! Did you get the vacuum chamber done as well?

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
  Yes I did it work fairly well. I need to get a new vacuum gauge but all in all it seemed to work pretty well. After I get this one in a case going to put it in a box to try and make it look similar to a model T coil so it will look more in the true hit miss engine style I'm going to try and make a 3 to 4 volt coil and see if it will work.  If I succeed at that I plan on putting it into a case to try and make it look like a miniature automotive coil. I happy that this one worked. I've always wanted to try and do this so it's one more thing I can cross off my list of things I want to try and do.

Offline Don1966

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 10:00:50 PM »
Doc what did you impegnate the coil with wax?

Don