Author Topic: Miniature coil winder  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: Miniature coil winder
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 01:56:50 AM »
I used wax same stuff as in the canning dept. When I get the box made for it, it will have more wax to fill the box and totally encase it.
    I ordered more 44 gauge wire for the next one I'm going to try.  I did have to make a vacuum pump. I used an old bicycle pump it pulled the vacuum down to 25 on the gauge but not sure the gauge was working correctly.

Offline Don1966

• Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 03:26:04 AM »
Doc I donít think thatís a good idea to fill the box with wax. The coil has to cool and wax will be coming out of it as it heats up. The wax is only to insulate the windings to keep them from jumping across each other and ruining the coil.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 03:58:19 AM »
The coil will not get hot enough to melt the wax and if it does it will not be any good anyway. Bob Shores describes doing this to his coils and didn't have any problems with it so thats why I'm going to give it a try. I know that model T coils are built very similar I have one laying on the shelf here that I plan on rebuilding (or attempt to LOL) at some point. Thats one of the reasons that I got started wanting to build a coil.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2019, 01:09:13 AM »
Here are some pics of the finished coil. It puts out a nice spark at 6V. The primary resistance is 3.0 ohm and the secondary is at 5600 ohms. I'm happy with the way it turned out one more thing I can cross off my would like to build if I could.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
Hello Doc,

Really cool.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Offline Don1966

• Morgan City, LA (Along the Gulf Coast)
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »
Awesome Doc looks great! :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don