Author Topic: Miniature coil winder  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Miniature coil winder
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 04:24:22 AM »
Cool Doc waiting to see the results!

Don

Offline Chester

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 03:48:14 PM »
Doc, I've been silently following along in the background. I find this very interesting. I just wanted to chime in to let you know that there is more following along

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 04:00:59 PM »
I have been making videos for those that wish to see the progress. If you go to my youtube channel they are there. I just stopped posting them on message boards so you can decide if you want to see them or not. I will post some final pictures when I get one done. I'm in the process of designing and building a vacuum impregnation chamber for them. S far has been working out ok. I did find an error in the book data. The data shown for the resistance for the secondary winding is incorrect it should have been over 8k listed was I think about 2.5k. Anyway still moving forward.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 12:34:04 PM »
Well did get my first coil done AND IT WORKS. I tested it on 6v and no problems.  I now need to incase it I'm planning on a box a smaller version of a model T  coil. Here is a pic I took from the video.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »
Coil looks nice + great that it works as you expect  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »
Cool Doc I did watch the videos! Did you get the vacuum chamber done as well?

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
  Yes I did it work fairly well. I need to get a new vacuum gauge but all in all it seemed to work pretty well. After I get this one in a case going to put it in a box to try and make it look similar to a model T coil so it will look more in the true hit miss engine style I'm going to try and make a 3 to 4 volt coil and see if it will work.  If I succeed at that I plan on putting it into a case to try and make it look like a miniature automotive coil. I happy that this one worked. I've always wanted to try and do this so it's one more thing I can cross off my list of things I want to try and do.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 10:00:50 PM »
Doc what did you impegnate the coil with wax?

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 01:56:50 AM »
I used wax same stuff as in the canning dept. When I get the box made for it, it will have more wax to fill the box and totally encase it.
    I ordered more 44 gauge wire for the next one I'm going to try.  I did have to make a vacuum pump. I used an old bicycle pump it pulled the vacuum down to 25 on the gauge but not sure the gauge was working correctly.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 03:26:04 AM »
Doc I don’t think that’s a good idea to fill the box with wax. The coil has to cool and wax will be coming out of it as it heats up. The wax is only to insulate the windings to keep them from jumping across each other and ruining the coil.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 03:58:19 AM »
The coil will not get hot enough to melt the wax and if it does it will not be any good anyway. Bob Shores describes doing this to his coils and didn't have any problems with it so thats why I'm going to give it a try. I know that model T coils are built very similar I have one laying on the shelf here that I plan on rebuilding (or attempt to LOL) at some point. Thats one of the reasons that I got started wanting to build a coil.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 01:09:13 AM »
Here are some pics of the finished coil. It puts out a nice spark at 6V. The primary resistance is 3.0 ohm and the secondary is at 5600 ohms. I'm happy with the way it turned out one more thing I can cross off my would like to build if I could.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
Hello Doc,

Really cool.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS