Author Topic: Miniature coil winder  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Miniature coil winder
« on: October 05, 2018, 02:34:46 AM »
Ok going to build (or attempt) to build miniature coils first need to build the winder. I'll post here if there is any interest in it if not no big deal we will see.
Anyway the first thing will be the gear package for it. It will be a version of the Side Winder miniature coil winder from Bob Shores book.  The book is a very good book if you want info on coils and windings  I recommend it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00MPUnbQGFY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00MPUnbQGFY</a>

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Miniature coil winder
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
Hello Doc,

I'm on board and a nice video.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Chester

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
I’m with you Doc, this sounds very useful

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 04:02:28 PM »
  Cool Doc I had started to build it years back just to do it but will watch your progress. Bobs book is a great book to read.  :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 07:24:26 PM »
 Thanks Don wasn't real sure if anyone had any interest in this. I am more or less just building it to satisfy my wanting to see if I can do it or not. I have always been fascinated by electronics and electrical things (I know just enough about electronics to get into trouble). I sometimes think about taking some class's in it but never do.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:38:05 PM »
Hi Doc,
 Following along, unlikely to make the winder, but interested in gear cutting & that sure went easy!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »
Still not done with the gears have the larger ones to do yet. I think I'm going to make a spring loaded pen for my machine and let it create the index strip for me, The lager gear is 81 tooth. So I'll take my paper strip length is (5.04 the indexer dia x 3.1414 = circ) and let the machine put the pen marks on it for me. I took an old pen and put it into a tube that fits the 7/16 machine collet and JB weld. Then take the ink cartridge of the pen and make it spring loaded. It should work we shall see. The JB weld should be set up in the morning so I can move forward with the plan.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 12:56:04 AM »
Cool Doc still following your progress. I will attach the Gear Hob Calculacation sheet if anyone hasn't download it from plans and drawings yet see below.

don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:27:01 AM »
Thanks Don that spread sheet is nice does all the math for you and makes it easy!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
Cool Doc you made a lot of head way on it. Are those motors from a swivel sweeper because I have a few of those?  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 01:30:51 AM »
Don not sure where I salvaged these motors. Things like that I tend to hang onto.

Thanks Tom
Well getting down to the finish but I did have a error some where. The wire guide I made from a hypodermic needle and some spring steel but ended up to long and would be to close to the spool. So I need to shorten it and I also missed the feed hole in the one side plate.
Once I get those errors fixed I'll get the counter mounted and the motor and I'll be ready for a trial run. 

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 04:04:17 AM »
Looking good Doc now need to see it in action!

Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 09:44:26 PM »
Looks good Doc just waiting to see you wound a coil with it. I have one of those speed control I think I paid $14 for it. On the speed pot just reverse the two outer wires to get it the right direction.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 04:25:05 AM »
If I get my ignition system finished for my hoglet I'm building I may try and wind up a coil. I have gotten a plan together for the vacuum chamber to impregnate the coil with wax. But first I want to get to the last thing to do on the hoglet which will be the carb.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 03:30:59 AM »
Well started winding my first coils I wound the primary which went pretty good and started on secondary (12,500 wraps).
I've got a plan for the vacuum  chamber in mind and going to start as soo as I get the first one wound up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal