Author Topic: Question about “heat treating” or “hardening” hot rolled A36 steel  (Read 7629 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Dunno, I kind of like the multi-colored approach.  Keeps it easier when talking to the shop assistants - "hand me that thingamajig.  No, the purple one"

Hello Bent,

Well the correct request would be, hand me that Blue thingy. However not sure you could just hand it, haven't weighted it yet but think it will be over 70 pounds.  It is now all apart and the first coat of Blue has been applied and have the shop windows open to let it dry.

Cannot paint the Punch (less the "V") until I do the case hardening which will be next week.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Hello everyone,

Well I am pretty sure that you will not walk into your local Walgreens Drug Store and find one of these sitting on a shelf. I just calculated the weigh (+ or - a pound) and it comes it at 92-pounds.  :atcomputer:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Looks great!
We'd each like one...!

Hello Chris,

I'm telling you, it is as handy as a pocket on a shirt, every shop really does need one.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Dang, guess that means I can't get one, I wear pocket-less T-shirts!   :Lol:

Hello everyone,

Well I thought the next photos would be of the completed Press, however I had forgotten to make the Top Brace. So the first item to be bent to shape with the Press turned out to be a part for the Press. It is a piece of 1/4" thick by 2" wide flat bar with three bends and two of them are reverse bends. As you can see, it made the bends with no problem and not much effort/force on the jack handle. The large heavy duty extension springs worked perfect and holds the heavy Punch Beam and Punch in the up position when not in use.

Now a little more welding and clean up then more paint and it should be completed by this afternoon.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Looks like it certainly performed well for its first part!

So, what does the top brace do?  It doesn't look like it adds rigidity or strength to the press. Are you going to attach it to the wall or something to keep the press from tipping over?

Sure looks nice Thomas!
Kim

So, what does the top brace do?  It doesn't look like it adds rigidity or strength to the press. Are you going to attach it to the wall or something to keep the press from tipping over?

Sure looks nice Thomas!
Kim

Hello Kim,

The top brace is not complete in that photo. I have added a piece of 3/4" 1018 steel round bar vertically in the very center from the Head Beam to the inside of the inverted "V" of the top brace. This acts like a truss and adds a bit more strength to the Head Beam. Although it really is not needed, but it is a part of my original design so I am using it. I could install a 10-ton bottle jack and it would not overload the design.

The base legs (16" long each) and the weight of the Press held it securely in place while I was making the first bend. I do have holes drilled in the legs so it can be mounted if needed.

Thanks Kim and have a great weekend.
Thomas
Thomas

Hello everyone,

OK guys and gals the Press is now completed and ready for some serious work. Case hardening the Punch might get delayed a bit because I am anxious to get back to work on the Buggy. The first 3 bends that I made with the Press shows no sign of wear or marks on the Punch but just a little on the shoulders on the Die. I can remove the Die anytime that I need to and clean up any marks. I am very pleased with the way it has turned out, looks good and operates great. I will make a stand for it when I have the time, it is to dog-gone heavy to try and move. I have made several Presses over the years but this one, in my opinion, is the perfect shop Press.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and for following along on this project.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA

Sure looks nice Thomas!
Kim

Hello Kim,

The top brace is not complete in that photo. I have added a piece of 3/4" 1018 steel round bar vertically in the very center from the Head Beam to the inside of the inverted "V" of the top brace. This acts like a truss and adds a bit more strength to the Head Beam. Although it really is not needed, but it is a part of my original design so I am using it. I could install a 10-ton bottle jack and it would not overload the design.

The base legs (16" long each) and the weight of the Press held it securely in place while I was making the first bend. I do have holes drilled in the legs so it can be mounted if needed.

Thanks Kim and have a great weekend.
Thomas
Thanks for the explanation Thomas. It makes perfect sense.  The next set of pictures shows it quite well.

Certainly is a nice tool, and one you can be proud of!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal