Author Topic: Myford Lever Collet Chuck - Myford Cross-slide Capstan - Myford Multistop  (Read 1619 times)

Online Twizseven

Does anyone have / use any of the above items.  I have the opportunity to obtain one or all (not sure of price as yet).

How useful do you find them.

The collet chuck has a set of Metric collets from 2mm up to IIRC 18mm in 1/2mm increments and another 20 odd collets (some Imperial (several doubled up) and some for square and hex rod of various sizes.

The Capstan is the standard 6 way unit which bolts onto the cross-slide and its has various bits of tooling fitted, the functions of some I can only guess at.  All ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,

Colin

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

Hi Colin,

I use both 5C and ER32 collects on my lathes all the time, or at least whenever the pieces are small enough to fit the collets, and the beauty of them is that you can remove an item during turning and reinsert it and you will not loose any concentricity.

The capstan is also a boon when performing multi step processes such as drilling, different size holes etc.

If you can get them at a reasonable price then I would recommend you go for them  :cartwheel:

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline kvom

I have a 5C collet chuck for my lathe and use it in preference to any where possible.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
collets are the most useful for a lathe.   In general I find any accessory for one of my lathes that I don't have, I become desperately fixated on; the burden of a tool-aholic.  with that turret you'll want one of these...might be for sale but I have no idea what part of the planet you're on :) 

Online Twizseven

Mcgyver,

I understand the tool-aholic problem.  My wife keeps telling me to part (get rid of) stuff in the workshop,  :ThumbsDown: but I keep adding bits when I find them.  :LittleDevil: Trouble is my mate keeps getting rid of tools which he finds in his workshop that he had forgotten  :old: he had bought several years or more before.  His workshop is pretty phenomenal as it is and these he is getting rid of are duplicates or equivalents to other tools he has.  Its criminal to let someone else have them.  I am in the UK.

Mike, kvom,

I do use ER32 collets on lathe already, but the lever collet system does appear to work very well.

Colin

Offline Florian Eberhard

Hi Colin

I would also say go for it if the price is right. Especialy that lever operated collet chuck is a very nice tool if you have several identical parts to machine. And with that capstan unit, it gets even more comfortable. (e.g. pipe flanges or bolts and nuts)

Florian

Offline Chipswitheverything

I would agree about the usefulness of the collet chuck and the many collets, but suggest that if at all possible, you ask for a chance to fit the equipment to your lathe and run some checks of the accuracy before purchase.  I bought exactly similar s/h  from a ( reputable ) dealer a few years back, had to do a return as many of the collets were quite badly out of truth - several thou, 3 or 4 thou at worst - maybe strained by poor use in the past?, though visually they looked reasonable.  Had the same experience with another s/h Myford collet chuck and collets bought by a Myford owning friend a little later, checked them out and they were also too inaccurate to be worth using.   ( My Myford spindle nose runs with no readable run out, by the way.....)     Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal