Author Topic: Ultrasonic Cleaners  (Read 1467 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Ultrasonic Cleaners
« on: September 30, 2018, 02:35:17 PM »
In his thread on the two cylinder engine, Roger B mentioned ultrasonic cleaning of the cylinders after lapping them with diamond paste. The question I wish to pose here is what various kinds, brands, sizes, etc. of Ultrasonic cleaners do members have or use. What size is suitable for model engine work? Looking around on amazon,  yields a lot of different brands, sizes, and price points but some of the ratings seem rather poor to me. What I have currently is a small Branson unit I got years ago, but it is more suitable for jewelry than machine or engine parts. Neither does it seem to have the power to do much. Are multiple transducers better? What do you use or mix in the cleaning solution? Is a unit with a built in heater worth the additional cost? 

Any thoughts on these questions based of member's experiences would be helpful.

Bill

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
This one is now in use since a couple of years.
Bought at a German discounter (ALDI).
https://www.ultraschallreinigertest.com/ultraschallreiniger/codyson-ultraschallreiniger-test/
I am happy with this toy.
Brand name is "Codyson" I am sure it is made in China. Price was about EUR 25.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Thor

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:14:46 PM »
Hi Bill,

The ultrasonic cleaner I use is similar to the one linked to by Achim. It has worked well so far and is big enough for the cylinders of the small steam engines I have made.

Thor

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »
I use a Guyson / Kerry ultrasonic tank, but I am a bit biased having worked for the company for over 30 years.

Phil

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »
I have a cheap 50W unit from Conrad. It is big enough for my engine parts. I just fill it with water from the hot tap. More important possibly is the cleaning powder (also from Conrad).
Best regards

Roger

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
Hi Bill

I have a small Branson unit that I got excess from work, it is 5X6 and 4" deep. It works very well for its size; one a bit larger would be nice but I get by with this one ok.
The sonic action generates quite a bit of heat and if you start with hot water it seems to keep plenty warm.

I have used a number of degreasers over the years for general purpose shop cleaning and also in the ultra sonic tank. The one that I like the best is Oil Eater.
http://oileater.com/industrial/cleaners-degreasers/original-formula/

I used to be able to buy it at Costco but they quit carrying it, so now I get it on Amazon. Usually you can get a 4 gallon box with free Prime shipping and that will last me a couple years or more.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 06:00:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Seems most of you are using a size of 1 L or less and hot water as opposed to an internal heater. All of the info is useful!

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
Thank you for asking the question  :) A lot of us sit in our own little spaces doing things our own way when maybe we should share more information. That's why I asked the question about posting more machining videos and then put up the lapping video on my two cylinder engine thread. I am certainly no expert, all feedback from others is useful/welcomed  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal