Author Topic: Midlands Model Engineering Show 2018  (Read 8651 times)

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
Re: Midlands Model Engineering Show 2018
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 07:17:30 PM »
A great day out and good to be able to catch up with Jo, Jason and some of the others. Jason has also managed to get photos of the stuff I failed to get pictures of.

No castings or arbor presses for me I'm afraid, I'm already marginal on my baggage limit for the trip back to NZ

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
Thank you very much for the photos JasonB. Do I need to go tomorrow after all these superb pics????
         Of course I do, there might be some bargains left that today's visitors missed.... Very doubtful on castings though....   :old: :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »
Thank you very much for the photos JasonB. Do I need to go tomorrow after all these superb pics????
         Of course I do, there might be some bargains left that today's visitors missed.... Very doubtful on castings though....   :old: :DrinkPint: :DrinkPint:

Don't panic!! I was walking around at 4:45pm and there appeared to be as much available as there was when I arrived at 10:00am

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2018, 11:37:35 PM »
Many thanks for the pictures Jason. I hope it will be a very successful show. Certainly lots of very nice models to look at judging from the pictures you took.

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
Looking good , I will be going with Norridge on saturday so please leave something for me to purchase perhaps..some flywheels would be nice ..4.5"  4.75" and 5' would be cool...will look up Mike on the i see stall !
Willy
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:03:51 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 07:33:47 AM »
Finally made it home to be pounced on when someone wanted to check I had brought home the promised castings  :pinkelephant: ::) I am sure I was told there was only a couple of odd castings to be picked up  :noidea:

I'll try to sort out some photo's later the boys have just turned up and we have a bit more "gardening to do"  :facepalm:

Jo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:17:19 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
Hi all,

The Midlands show turned out to be very good and I also met Jo and Jason and had a chat about various things.

Now have all the required castings from Blackgates for the Clarkson Twin build and must say that the quality is better than the originals I have, so hopefully no chill spots on the trunk guides, and now no excuses for delays in turning the castings into the required shapes and hopefully correct dimensions as well.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »
Just got home absolutely worn out but had a brilliant day. Such superb craftsmanship (or should that now be craftspersonship?) on display and some very friendly knowledgeable people ready to answer the most stupid questions for me. :thinking: :shrug: Met a couple of other forum members, it is nice to be able to put a face and voice to members. Even SWMBO didn't nag about the money I spent on things that I just can't live without.  :lolb: :Jester: :censored:  Many thanks to Brian for giving me a lift.   :old: :DrinkPint:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
This video of the show was posted on another forum and may give our American members an idea of the other activities and subjects that can be seen at a UK show, not just the ic and stationary engines that tend to get posted here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwLXidRvQ9M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwLXidRvQ9M</a>

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 11:12:46 PM »
Given the recent discussion regarding the state of the hobbys future this video is singularly disappointing. I watched it a couple of times and strained to scan the crowd shots searching for anybody that did not have white hair. Unless this is a 'seniors only hour' it amply demonstrates that the hobby is supported overwhelmingly by a declining demographic. Not only where there no young ones present but there were no 30 or 40 year old parents of young ones either. The future appears obvious. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2018, 11:47:52 PM »
Paul, it's a Friday today, the youngsters are at school, their 30-40 year old parents are at work, hence all the white hair mob.  But you're right!

Chris
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:58:26 PM by Laurentic »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 01:29:15 AM »
Thanks for the video. Really an impressive show!!

Bill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 05:51:17 AM »
A great day out and good to be able to catch up with Jo, Jason and some of the others. Jason has also managed to get photos of the stuff I failed to get pictures of.

No castings or arbor presses for me I'm afraid, I'm already marginal on my baggage limit for the trip back to NZ

Pete

Hi Pete,
 Clothes are over rated for homecoming trips! Full your bags with tools!
We got home Monday from Canada. Wifey hates putting ANYTHING in checked luggage that MAY mean the bag gets opened. SO the Snow Globe for the grand monsters she had put in carry on, (cause the wind up bit may cause problems) stayed at customs, the wind up bit wasn’t the issue, the globe was over 100 mills! MY bits go thru no problem!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal