Author Topic: 0.6 module involute cutters  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: 0.6 module involute cutters
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
Mike

Could not resist boss is watching the soaps

Your calls are spot on DP is 42.33 no hope there

The rest of your calls are correct for .6 mod at that tooth count and shaft spacing

Hope you find some at the right price but I will keep looking
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
Mike, can you not make your own cutter on the CNC lathe which should be easier than mucking about with buttons. Or what about milling a single point cutter, as it is only going to cut Delrin it does not need to be HSS

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 07:49:47 PM »
Hello Jason

Yes, That makes sense, I could mill or turn a single point cutter in Silver steel then harden it.

Do you know where I can find the tooth profile data for 0.6 module.?

There is something in Chapter 12 of Ivan Laws book. I will look that up and see if it helps

Cheers

Mike :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »
Mike,
Here is a dfx file of the mod .6-63T gear for the cutter profile. I used Gear Wheel Designer to generate the gear.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 08:17:10 PM »
Yes Ivan laws book will give the radius and ctrs of the two arcs to form the cutter.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 08:23:41 PM »
Mike,
Here is a dfx file of the mod .6-63T gear for the cutter profile. I used Gear Wheel Designer to generate the gear.

Dan

Hello Dan

Thanks for looking into this for me. Unfortunately I cannot open the .DXF  file you sent. I think my AutoCAD is too old. Can you resend as a R12 DXF file?

Cheers

Mike

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »
Mike, I do not have Autocad. The only other version I can generate is dwg which I think is even later. I added that and maybe some other reader can help with the conversion. I could also convert to Aibre format if that would work.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 08:48:20 PM »
Mike this is what I get from Ivan's book using 42.33DP for the 55-134T cutter, you may want to check my figures Both metric and imperial sizes there

If you want to draw the gear then load the free Fusion 360 as there is a gear generator in that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:53:51 PM by Jasonb »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 08:51:34 PM »
Hello Dan and Jason,

Thanks for your inputs. I will work away at this tomorrow. I think I am very close now

Cheers

Mike

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »
Here is a brief summary of the method I use to make the tool to cut gears.

You have simply to find the diameter and the position of two circles, the buttons, whose dimensions change according to the wheel to be cut.
The pressure angle is very generally set at 20 °, so only the module (M) and the number of teeth (N) are necessary for the calculation, all the other dimensions are derived from it.

The angle is the half angular step 360 / (2xN).

Draw the primitive circle: dia = N x M; the outer circle: dia = (N + 2) x M; and the inner circle, with the endplay: dia = (N - 2.314) x M.

Draw the line of the pressure angle, which goes through "a", then a parallel which passes through the center of the wheel, "O", then the perpendicular which passes through "a"; its intersection with the second pressure line is the point "c", center of the first button, radius "ac".
The line "oc" is the radius of the base circle. The line "ac" must be tangent to the base circle in "c". It's over for the drawing.

The tool thus drawn will cut the metal between two teeth with the correct profile, starting with a blank turned to the outside dia and taking a total depth of 2.157 M for the number of teeth chosen; i.e. another tool is required for a different number of teeth.
For numeric values, some trigs is necessary ...
But doing the construction with a drawing software simplifies everything: the dimensions are taken directly from the drawing;

I simply cut the drawing and stick it on a HSS bar and grind the tool close to the layout...

I tested it and cut bronze wheels to the module 0.5M and 1M which mesh perfectly.
For Module 1 or tough material, a roughing pass with a saw helps.

Hope it is useful

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
Hello Zephyrin

Thank you for this information. I will draw my required cutters using this information tomorrow. I can compare it with Jason's and Dan's information and also Ivan Law's information, they should all be nearly identical. I am becoming comfortable about making a single point cutter for the Delrin gears.

I have received help with these gears from all over the world,  truly international support from the MEM forum members.

It's also appropriate, as you live near Paris, The Jupiter model started life, being built by Dan, in Toucy near Auxerre , which is just a little way south of you. The Jupiter model has become an international engine project.

Thanks again

Mike

Offline kvom

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 11:03:44 PM »
Here is the DXF file in R12 format if still of use.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 11:44:42 PM »
Mike

If you get stuck let me know.

I have both 0.6M and 42DP hobs for my Mikron hobbing machine, if you machine the blanks and post them to me, I can cut the teeth on them for you.

Phil

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »
The approach depends upon the equipment available. I'd model the involute profile in 3D CAD. Then, with a CNC mill available, one can either use the CAD model to mill a piece of HSS to the correct profile and use it as a flycutter, or go the whole hog and model a proper involute cutter that can be machined from gauge plate. For either method I'd create the model large size, say 1DP, and then make the last operation a uniform scaling, ie, divide by 42.333 or thereabouts.

Andrew

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
Thank you all, for your advise, offers of help and inspiration. The MEM forum is a very special place in which to hang out.

Thanks Phil for your generous offer to gearcut the blanks, it is good to know I have a backstop.

I am encouraged to have a go at making some single point cutters on my CNC mill. I have already modeled the cutter geometry. The cutters will be tiny. The 63t Delrin gear will have an outside diameter of 39mm, the cutter will be formed by two circular cuts, each of 12.93mm diameter. The mild steel 28t pinion will have an OD of 18mm and it's cutter will require two circular cuts of a mear 5.74mm. 

It's not quite watchmaking but smaller than clockmaking. I am looking forward to the challenge, safe in the knowledge that Phill can step in to help, should it go pearshaped.

Thanks again to all who 'pitched' in

Cheers  :cheers: :cheers:

Mike
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:35:53 AM by Vixen »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal