Author Topic: Gasket material for cylinder covers & valve chests  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Moxis

Gasket material for cylinder covers & valve chests
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:41:58 AM »
Hi guys. Soon I reach the phase for final installation of my Marcher engine. So this is the time to ask about materials.
I think I have to make some sort of gaskets between cylinder block and covers & valve chests and cylinder block to make them tight. But which material to use? Should I use some sort of paper, plastic, or tightening jelly for this?

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: Gasket material for cylinder covers & valve chests
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
Take a look at teflon sheet. I use it in all my engines. .020-.030 inch thick for head gaskets and .01 thick for all others. After years of running I took apart the peewee for inspection and the gaskets came right off without sticking to the surfaces. They wiped clean with a paper towel and were ready for re installation.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 10:56:30 AM »
Hello Steve

Can you tell us more about your PTFE/ Teflon head gaskets please. I understand teflon to be quite soft, so how much does the material compress?

Do you use them on your i/c engines or only for steam? I did a search for the PeeWee but it directed me back to this thread. Have you used them for multi cylinder i/c engines?

How do you make the head gaskets, I guess with scalpel and hole punch or is there a better way? With paper gaskets you could always tap around the edge of the casting to cut thin paper/card material, does that work with teflon?

Thanks for your advice.  :happyreader: :happyreader:

Mike 
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 12:51:57 PM »
Compression,  I don't know.  Never measured but I would surprised if it were more than 5%

I have used the material in the peewee and pacifier v4's and also in the demon v8. All are spark ignition, gasoline engines.

I have in the past made templates so drill bits and razor blades can be used to make gaskets. I also had some sets laser cut for the v8.

I am on the road to the mid-ohio model show so I can't post pics right now but I can post some early next week.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 01:11:57 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back and answering the important questions. Hope you enjoy the mid-ohio show.

So the simpler gaskets could be hand made, but I like the idea of laser cut for the more complex multi cylinder engine.

Enjoy Mid-Ohio

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline galland

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
I agree with Steve. I have used Teflon sheet from McMaster Carr for years in air powered engines with very good results.

Gary

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »
Hi Steve,

If you want to go the paper route, visit your local machine shop. If they are nice to you, they may walk over to their gasket drawer, pull out a piece of professional gasket material and reach for a pair of scissors.  No charge.

It worked for me. The material was Karropak Fell-pro.

Cheers...John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal