Author Topic: FINISHING AND POLISHING YOUR PROJECTS  (Read 11641 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: FINISHING AND POLISHING YOUR PROJECTS
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2016, 11:59:46 AM »
Great post Don,
As has been mentioned the part that has to be watched out for is rounding of corners. A lot of times I have reverted to buffing and polishing in the initial stages and then doing the finished drilling or machining. That way the corners stay nice and crisp.
It takes a fair amount of work to get ones engines looking as good as yours.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 12:22:02 PM »
The Foredom H30 hand piece is the general purpose one that is included in most Foredom kits. It's a small, 3-jaw, (like our larger drill chucks)
Most of the others either take only one shank size or collets. I've put everything in the H30 from sanding drums, grinding wheels, (anything that fits in a Dremel) down to dental burrs in a variety of shank diameters.

Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »
Great post Don,
As has been mentioned the part that has to be watched out for is rounding of corners. A lot of times I have reverted to buffing and polishing in the initial stages and then doing the finished drilling or machining. That way the corners stay nice and crisp.
It takes a fair amount of work to get ones engines looking as good as yours.
gbritnell
George glad to see you still with the living buddy and yes my engines take a fair amount of work.

Good post Don1966. Couple questions
- where did you source that electric micro sander unit?
- I've been eyeing a Foredom for many years. (My Dremel's are kind of crappy, but they just wont die yet). I'm still kind of confused by Foredom's vast array of hand pieces (the business end with collet or chuck). What do you have for your various grinding & polishing needs?
http://www.foredom.net/handpiecesforkeytipshafting.aspx
Hi Peter, you can get the Micro Sander here.....http://www.micromark.com/micro-sander,7704.html But they have got 20% off on their tools till Sunday so you would have to acr fast. You will also need a link to the sale if your not on their list mailing list and I can do that if you want.
As for grinding I use stones, burrs and I love the diamond burrs for feather removal of metal. I do have an angle grinder with varies pads and wheels for heavy removal down to pads for lite removal. Then an assortment of different shape buffing pads and disc.

Don

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
Very useful thread, Don. Thanks for sharing this info.

gary

Online mikehinz

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 12:35:20 PM »
I'm extremely glad that thread was recently resurrected.  Since I'm new to the game, this has proved most useful and interesting to me.

Thanks very much for the excellent reference material!

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
I'm sure glad that "bug" never bit me. :-)  My projects (not model engines) often still have the lay-out ink on them when I consider them "finished".   :-)
   ...lew...

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »
Guys glad to see your still making use of this thread and find it helpful. Anyone wishing to add there comments or suggestions please feel free to do, because all information will help others.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »
I think Don mentioned these and I know he uses them. I have found it far less costly to by them direct than through places like micro-mark. They are available is assorted grits or you can buy single grits (actually each side has a separate grit. They work very well and I keep them on hand now always.

http://micro-surface.com/index.php/products-by-type/dual-angle-detailing-files/dual-angle-micro-mesh-regular-files.html

Bill

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2018, 09:55:10 PM »
Many Thanks Don. :praise2: :praise2: As a new comer to model engine building I have wondered how some of the finishes were achieved.  Your thread has really helped throw light on the process. Now to find a reliable "Elbow Grease" supplier :Jester:  John
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal