Author Topic: DOM tubing cylinder sleeve  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: DOM tubing cylinder sleeve
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
A cast iron piston / piston ring in a cast iron bore is best, but a cast iron piston in a steel bore  is not too bad. I use both in my hot air motors, one of which has a cylinder made of a bit of steel water pipe, that almost didn't work, as I bore ut the pipe to size the weld gave way, I clamped it to close the gap, then ran a weld along the seam on the outside, it worked, the piston is old cast iron window weight, and after many hours of use since 1993 there is no measurable wear on either item.
Ian S C

Offline oltrucks39

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 04:12:00 PM »
Well conventional wisdom tells me that any time you have either a rotating or reciprocating metal on metal situation that one material has to be harder than the other. With modern engines the bores are typically cast iron and the rings are hardened. When you rebuild one, the bore is always increased and oversize pistons and rings are used. Now for authenticity I would say yes cast iron rings in a cast iron bore was all they had to work with. But cast iron rings in a cast iron bore can't make the best situation. You can't convince me otherwise.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
Cast iron does have the benefit of a very high free carbon content which will act as a lubricant. Stainless steel components, for example,  tend to gall/cold weld together due to the lack of free carbon
Best regards

Roger

toolznthings

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »
Hi,
As mentioned above, make a cast iron sleeve and use Loctite and you'll be good to go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal